Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limited Cash, What to do next...

I'm running a 4" lift on a 97 Wrangler and need some advice. I have about $800 to spend and am split between regearing or adding a SYE/CV shaft combo. Running 30/35 axles with 3.07 gears which are a dog but I can live with. Just need to know which will likely cause more damage sooner, the 3.07's with 33" tires (have to ride the clutch some to get going), or having the stock shaft(the tcase is lowered). I'll hopefully switch to a ford 8.8 in the future, so I need to know if the cost of regearing the 35 and then the 8.8 is worth the damage avoided until then.

·
Registered
741 Posts
you can find a good set of used D30/D35 gears in the For Sale section here and save some money over buying new ones, then find someone to set them for you and you'll have some cash left over to do more to it...if you wait for a week or two and are patient you may be able to get gears and an SYE here or on JU and you'll be set and you won't have the t-case drop anymore

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Get a 4.10 geared 8.8 out of an explorer sport 95 or later. Find a front axle out of a 4 cylinder TJ with 4.10 gears, swap them in and sell your old axles. You should nearly break even. Maybe be out a couple hundred bucks. Or if you can weld, get axles out of a 86 - 90 grand wagoneer, weld coil buckets, and brackets for a long arm kit in. Then you have stronger front and rear axles.

Ben

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
GEARS!!!
I just did mine... BEST "mod" yet.

I've got some 4.11s for a 30/35 combo if yer interested.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Keith Strong said:
8.8 and 30 with 4.56's Do it. Dont waste a PENNY on that D35

im with keith on this one. or go with the 4:10 D30 and 4:10 8.8 get rid of the tooth pick axles:p

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I ran the 3.07's w/ 33's for over a year and no problems. Hills suck though, around town is fine for awhile. I would do an inprovement like the sye first and then address the axle issues. To me, it's not worth the thought to regear those axles.. Go full width 44 and a 9"..

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it is an either or question:

1. gears

or

2. sye/ds

or

3. start 8.8

I'd say sye/ds and buy the 8.8 axle to have it so you can slowly start working on it. Shop for one with 4.10s. You'll need to do the sye anyway for the 8.8.

non hack and tap sye $297
ds $250 or so
8.8 (I got mine for $150 back when I was running it)...shop around....www.car-part.com

Doc

Doc

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Lincolnloc said:
I ran the 3.07's w/ 33's for over a year and no problems. Hills suck though, around town is fine for awhile.
I ran the con for almost 3 years like that......Its totally possible, and I never actually broke my D35, but when all was said and done the 35 was taken apart for fun........

Both shafts twisted and ready to break.
Teeth chipped and messed up on ring gear.
cracked brake drum
bearings fried.

D35 are crap. Lose it before it starts costing you moeny ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts