Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 85 4runner that the guy had put a superlift 3in. plus NWOR 2in. shackle suspension on. It lacks articulation obviously. I did some research and the previous owner shot me some pics from the company that he bought the suspension from. The pictures they showed him (and the reason he bought it) was an 82 pickup. On the ramp the front wheels drop/extend nicely. As I examined the picture, I noticed they simply don't have any shocks mounted up front. So I am thinking it is partly a shock travel issue. I am planning a tellico trip, and I was wondering if once I got there if it would be ok to dislocate the shocks while on the trail for the addeded articulation. Yes, I am a newbie, so please go easy on me if this is totally idiotic! Thanks! Danny

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Do a search on front shocks and Ford shock mounts and read away. It is too easy to put longer shocks on. running without them is not only really uncomfortable, but can break stuff when the front end starts to bounce. Especially with the type of terrain a Tellico that requires some wheel speed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
no, you can't. i was testing out my new solid axle swap with out front shocks and got too much front end bounce rolling off a CURB. if you're going to be doing any sort of wheeling, you're definitely going to need front shocks or else you might break shit plus not have nearly as much control when you're trying to place your front end and keep bouncing around.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I imagine you could still wheel fine without shocks, I have heard about alot of people doing it. I drove my truck around for about six months without front shocks cause I was too lazy to weld on my F250 shock towers, and it drove fine (all around town). Bumps were bouncy but not that noticeable a difference. I imagine rocks are a different story. Now ofcoarse I have my shock towers on so I don't know if it sucks to wheel wihtout shocks. So I guess what I am trying to say is get the F250 shock towers and your problem is solved. And you will probably be fine wheeling without shocks. Don't hold me to it though if you bounce yourself down the side of a mountain. My $0.02

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I robbed my shock off my wheeler because they were leaking and did not want to tow the rig with bad shocks on the rear of the tow vehicle. The plan was to change out the shocks once we got to the Rubicon (trailhead). Because of the slow speeds it was not bad (in fact the rear was super soft but with a slow cycling to it). You had to come off rocks slower than normal to avoid bouncing (and hitting stuff as the suspension bottomed!) but it was not bad and we never put the shocks on all weekend. Of course at another later trip at Glamis I lost my Powertank:( cause it bounced out of the carrier as I was racing down the Sand Hiway along Highway 78. So I'd say shocks depend on how you want your truck to handle--you can always slow down but sometimes you don't want to or can't slow in time (the case in the dunes).

Jason :)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I thought the same thing

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116296

I later on checked my shocks, and they were completely DEAD, no compression at all on any. I didnt really notice, wheel hop sucked though, I still had the ill effects of limiting suspension, with blown shocks, worst of both worlds! I'd say it wasnt terrible, turning was fun! This was on stock springs though. I probably wont try it with something taller though.

Dave

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I dont know about the fronts but I took the rears off of my skyjackers to check flex and found it rode like a cadillac!:bounce:
It was nice. I would also be worried though about front end bounce and control.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Do yourself a favor and keep the shocks on. Yes the added wheel travel might help but the added bouncing could bouce you over a ledge or flop ya. No shocks will make the ride a LITTLE softer but will create tramendous wheel hop and bounce 300 times after 1 bump. Well maybe not 300 times but you get the idea. If you want the added wheel travel get longer shocks

·
Registered
342 Posts
just for good measure.. the ford shock tower part # is E5TZ-18183-A ask for this part as when i went the guys had no idea what i was talkin about... hope this helps... and btw wheelin w/o shocks IS A BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!! ask me how i know... just my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts