Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have a NIB Lincoln 180HD from Home Depot that I bought off of CL. My friend has a 10 year old Miller 180. It is the type on wheels and has infinitely variable adjustments. It has had three spools through it and works fine. He is going to sell it at some point in the near future.

Is there any real benefit to moving to the Miller over the Lincoln? I will be using the welder to make bumpers etc. typical light duty fab stuff. During my off work times, it may see some 5-7 hour days on occasions. I don't want to screw with whatever I weld with. I just want to run passes and make stuff.

As I see it there are benefits to each.

Lincoln - I already own it, spool gun ready and it is new.

Miller 180-Already on wheels, I kinda prefer blue, and it uses the larger spools etc. It is more commercial in construction from what I can tell.

Thoughts or opinions on which is preferable and why? Costs either way are close so that is a non-issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.

ROB

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've got limited knowledge of welding in general, but I'd look at 2 things....
1 what's the maximum spool size on both? If its the same, then it doesn't really matter, but if one can fit a larger spool of wire, then that's an advantage there. (edit: I can't read well on my phone, so the miller has the advantage there already. Trust me, its a pita when you have to run out and buy another spool of wire when your little spool runs out in the middle of the job because you weren't paying attention...and most of the time when I'm welding, I'm doing it in the evenings or at night, when the
stores are closed.)

2. Check duty cycles. Again, if its the same, moot point, but if one has a better duty cycle, then again, there's the advantage.

Just thought of a third point....are they both setup for flux core and gas welding, or is one flux core only? It's nicer to have the option of doing both, if possible.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
No question Blue over red any time.

Lincoln Still has the feed problem that they choose not to fix as the machines are built to the best of my knowledge .

They went to a press on gear and seem to have a tolerance problem on some of the parts . Bottom line gear just spins on the shaft after very little use or it could let go any time.

That being said the old Miller 180 was a pretty simple welder.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts

Lincoln Still has the feed problem that they choose not to fix as the machines are built to the best of my knowledge .

They went to a press on gear and seem to have a tolerance problem on some of the parts . Bottom line gear just spins on the shaft after very little use or it could let go any time.

IRONIC!

I've had problems with Millers feeding, and even the guys at the LWS have acknowledged it.

Not 1 problem ever out of my Lincoln.

IIRC some of the Millers had plastic parts on the drive roll, not sure if they still do or if I`m mistaken for another.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Good morning,

I have a NIB Lincoln 180HD from Home Depot that I bought off of CL. My friend has a 10 year old Miller 180. It is the type on wheels and has infinitely variable adjustments. It has had three spools through it and works fine. He is going to sell it at some point in the near future.

Is there any real benefit to moving to the Miller over the Lincoln? I will be using the welder to make bumpers etc. typical light duty fab stuff. During my off work times, it may see some 5-7 hour days on occasions. I don't want to screw with whatever I weld with. I just want to run passes and make stuff.

As I see it there are benefits to each.

Lincoln - I already own it, spool gun ready and it is new.

Miller 180-Already on wheels, I kinda prefer blue, and it uses the larger spools etc. It is more commercial in construction from what I can tell.

Thoughts or opinions on which is preferable and why? Costs either way are close so that is a non-issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.

ROB
Also keep in mind almost all Millers and Lincoln's NOT sold at HD (or any box store) are more commercial, better parts, and overall more heavy duty. (Just like shopping for jeans at wal-mart, etc. there is a reason it's cheaper there)

If you didn't buy the 180 I would have suggested watching CL to score a 210 or a 255 for the same price.

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spent some time researching the box store Lincoln. From what I can recall the guts are the same inside, but they use a cheaper drive mechanism. It is plastic and I know that the other model of 180's are the aluminum. That and the tapped voltage.

I prefer Blue in general. We have bought about 10 Millers at work. One did have a drive issue, but other than that they have been great. The 252 is awesome, that is one nice machine.

I am going to see what he needs out of his 180 Miller. It is real clean. I just don't want to get into messing with it.

I would guess that the Lincoln would sell for close to what I could get the Miller for. The fact that the lincoln is new would help sell it. Age does not matter. I just don't want to screw with it.

More thoughts?

·
Registered
288 Posts
It sounds like you've made up your mind already to me. I think at this point it comes down to a matter of personal preference....I love my Lincoln 180 I own, bought it new for 500...never had any problems with it so far, but if you're a fan of miller, then go for it.

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just trying to make a good choice. The Lincoln would be a nice machine, I own it etc.

But you are correct, I do generally prefer Miller.

If most are happy with the Lincoln then that helps. It does bother me to get rid of a new welder for a 10 year old one.

But then the thought of a pressed on gear slipping and plastic cracking in the drive mechanism is not good.

The plan is this: I will see what he needs for the Miller and then go from there. If it is say $400 or something I will buy it. If it is say $700 I will pass....

I am just trying to make a good decision. I am aware that welders usually prefer Red or Blue and that is that. I prefer blue but I am flexible.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Funny thing I have nothing against Lincoln I got my start and paid off my debt with Lincoln.

It is the Hobart welders that have the plastic feed parts but they are geared towards a hobby market .

The Big Box store Lincoln welders can`t be ordered by welding Distributors at least last time that issue came up in talking .

It all comes down to who gives the best service in your local area.

we all have are favorites .

Good luck no matter how it works out. You do know on all welders the warranty starts the day it was born one has to be real careful lots of counter people are clueless about this.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am just trying to make a good choice. The Lincoln would be a nice machine, I own it etc.

But you are correct, I do generally prefer Miller.

If most are happy with the Lincoln then that helps. It does bother me to get rid of a new welder for a 10 year old one.

But then the thought of a pressed on gear slipping and plastic cracking in the drive mechanism is not good.

The plan is this: I will see what he needs for the Miller and then go from there. If it is say $400 or something I will buy it. If it is say $700 I will pass....

I am just trying to make a good decision. I am aware that welders usually prefer Red or Blue and that is that. I prefer blue but I am flexible.
Fair nuff. I'm not trying to be a Dick, just trying to make your choice easier. Figured if it comes down to the welders being almost the same, then it just boils down to personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is Pirate and I did ask! I was more looking for a compelling reason for one over the other.

I haven't heard any scary Lincoln stories here. It does have the good technology inside or at least that is what I have read. It is about 3 months old.

What I can't have is my wife and I welding early on a Sunday and then having the drive mechanism spewing wire all over the shop.....BTDT! I know you can't be guaranteed anything, but I'd rather avoid it.....if at all possible.

I will post up with information on the other Miller. He is not in a hurry to sell and has some family thing going on right now. I'll get a price and a make model and year dealio and maybe we can discuss that in a few days when I get with him. He is the same guy with the plasma cutter I listed earlier here.

ROB

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts

I've had more issues with Miller feeding. I'd take either/or. We use exclusively Millers at work on SS. I'm always having feed issues on the MIG, more of a wire problem but still, and both Syncrowaves I've used (old and new models), there have solenoid problems for the gas. On the old 250 the gas won't shut off, the newer 200 it won't stay on. (For postflow) Other than that I have absolutely zero complaints with Miller well worth their money, and Lincoln for that matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts