Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a new Lincoln SP-135T mig welder last week. I bought two tanks of sheilding gas, one to do steel and the other to do aluminum. I bought a 1lb spool of .030 aluminum wire in hopes to weld some new aluminum diamond plate. I have no problem running the steel wire but the aluminum keeps wrapping/screwing up at the feed rollers at the welder. I do have the proper size tip in the gun. The main reason I bought this welder was to run aluminum. What can I do to get this to run it well and where can I get more information on setting up the welder for aluminum?

No I don't want to spend money on a TIG, also I only do hobby fabbing at home not production type of stuff.

Eeeeer,
Pottsy

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Slowzuki said:
Did you get the low friction gun liner and drive wheel for aluminum?
Ken
the tension on the drive wheel has to be WAY lower as it will flatten out the alum..........

*edit*.......... one more thing, did you happen to look at the owners manual???:D :flipoff2:

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
You should get a nylon liner for the feed line to the gun and try using a harder wire a wire that is in the 60 range ask the welding supplie people what is the best. Also check your drive wheel make sure its not putting teeth marks in the wire that will also have an efect on the feed. Thats the deal with pushing wire through a mig cable it has to be very free with almost no resistance also keep your cable as strait as possible. This problem is why most aluminum welding is done with a spool gun or tig.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Aluminum takes a ton of heat ( power) compared to steel. Your 135 is kind of small to do anything thicker than say 1/16.

My MM210 and a Miller 3035 spool gun works great on 1/2"

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
holy shit, 1/16"......thats almost totaly useless, i have the same welder, tho i have not attempted to weld alum, yet, it may be in my future, is it really that bad? is there no way it will do 3/16"?:confused:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Sharp said:
holy shit, 1/16"......thats almost totaly useless, i have the same welder, tho i have not attempted to weld alum, yet, it may be in my future, is it really that bad? is there no way it will do 3/16"?:confused:
If it's just a tool box or if you can get to both sides. My buddy is a ASME inspector and he rejected almost everything I i did when I was learning. IMO puddle control with aluminum is tricky when your getting the correct penetration.

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
I have small welder similiar in size and amperage I weld aluminum with it some times, that is the reason I bought it for an irrigation pipe job I did for a local farmer. I welded 3/16 wall couplings to 1/8 wall 6"diameter pipe close to 200 couplings it worked fine other than the ocasional bird nest. I will say you need to preheat your aluminum with a smaller welder and if its hot it will flow better. But all and all you better be a good damn welder to start screwing with aluminum, especialy after some of the shit ass welding I see most times from guys who think they know what they are doing, just be sure you know what your doing or have someone with you that does otherwise your wasting a ton of money on gas, wire, and time. A few other words, make sure your aluminum is clean as it can possibly be it will weld much better, MIG welding aluminum will tolerate a bit more dirt where TIG won't so keep it in mind.:D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
also along with not to tight feed rolls & a nylon liner try upsizing the mig tip one size, so if you were running 030 then put in an 035 tip, it might help but a spool gun or tig would be much better.
good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went out yesterday and bought .035 5356 wire and some tips.. I played around with it lastnight a couple hours on some new aluminum diamond plate .125..... I really didn't have much luck so the tank of gas maybe going back and I may just stick to mild steel till I can get a tig.

Thanks For The Pointers Fella's..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts