Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for personal preferences. What you guys use yours for and how you like it. Thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
We've done the whole Lincoln vs. Miller to death:rolleyes: The bottom line, IMO, is that they are both great machines. I happen to have a Lincoln SP-175 Plus that I am very happy with. Get the best price/value that you can and buy it from a reputable dealer in your area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The only difference I know is the Gun. I like the Lincoln better as it is just a bit smaller and fits in some places better than others.

j

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
check out the HOBART 175 as a cheaper alternative to the millermatic. Excellent machine for the $$$$$

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hobart

I have the Hobart 175, and I'm very happy with it. If this is for home fab, and you're buying new, I don't think you can go wrong with the Hobart. Save the $$$ and put it twoards materials. :beer:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't care about the hobart. Everybody pushes the Hobart 175. These welders aren't that expensive. So I'm not worried about saving money for other stuff. Thanks for the input anyways.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Expensive doesn't mean better. The Hobart and Miller have the same gun and most of the same internals because they're made by the same company. I'm certain the Miller has more (forget the exact part) copper made connectors and the Hobart's are aluminum.

I'm not trying to shove Hobart down your throat, nor do I receive commission everytime one is sold. If you want to spend the extra $200 for the Miller or Lincoln, that's your decision. Enjoy :beer:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
when I had my own Sheet Metal Shop, we had Millers and Lincolns...both wre great welders...the millers always seemed to have fewer problems...my 2 cents...one of my welders said he liked the millers...he said they produced a better more consistent weld...this is from a guy that makes his living welding...

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
BruthDoobie said:
Expensive doesn't mean better. The Hobart and Miller have the same gun and most of the same internals because they're made by the same company. I'm certain the Miller has more (forget the exact part) copper made connectors and the Hobart's are aluminum.

I'm not trying to shove Hobart down your throat, nor do I receive commission everytime one is sold. If you want to spend the extra $200 for the Miller or Lincoln, that's your decision. Enjoy :beer:
The internal drive parts on a Miller are AL, not plastic like a Hobart.

I have both Miller and Lincoln welders, I like both products. I would go with whatever has the best dealer in your area.

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
I beleive that Lincoln makes the best welding machines and always has. I've always used Lincolns until I bought my last welder (Hobart) Talk about a peice of crap! I don't know if I just got screwed, or if Hobart just sucks, I beleive its a bit of both though. Incase anyone does'nt know, Hobart is made by Miller.

My vote, buy Lincoln....

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
dog walker said:
I beleive that Lincoln makes the best welding machines and always has. I've always used Lincolns until I bought my last welder (Hobart) Talk about a peice of crap! I don't know if I just got screwed, or if Hobart just sucks, I beleive its a bit of both though. Incase anyone does'nt know, Hobart is made by Miller.

My vote, buy Lincoln....
What model?

I don't doubt you, but I also have a 35 year old Hobart in the garage I just got for $50.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hobart 175 $549
Millermatic 175 $660
Lincoln SP175 Plus $695

All these prices are shipped to my door. Local dealer can't come close enough.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
LAME said:

What model?

I don't doubt you, but I also have a 35 year old Hobart in the garage I just got for $50.
There is no comparison of the quality of a 35-year-old welder to the stuff they build now days. They used better quality materials in the old day. I used to have a Lincoln 250amp ac/dc. That thing had almost a 100% duty cycle. I was not using it so I gave it to a friend and I took his little Lincoln ac welder.

Either one of the two welders that you mentioned are good for home shop use. I have a Lincoln SP170T and it works great
:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts