Votes: 4 23.5%
  • manual

Votes: 13 76.5%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I'm still confused in these. I need an E brake, and a Electric LineLock sure would be the easiest way to go. Ok the part I'm :confused: about is, if I put it on, it voltage always there getting it hot while it is on? Is this bad to use for a few hours, up to overnight? Or should I just get a mechinal type that you mount in the cab, press the brake and then flip the switch? Yup it's a poll:flipoff2: 1st hand exp is very helpful, and 2nd hand info to if it's correct;) please no PCE answers, LOL
EDIT
p.s.......where do I get them, and how much$ I would like a cheap one if at all possible, and of course THANK YOU!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Manual. $5 at home depot. 1/4" or 1/2" Ball valve....works great. We're running this on 2 rigs without a hint of a problem. You'll need to spend some time in the fittings box behind the counter at autozone to adapt the fittings to your brake lines, but it's pretty damn easy.

Doc

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RockDoc said:
Manual. $5 at home depot. 1/4" or 1/2" Ball valve....works great. We're running this on 2 rigs without a hint of a problem. You'll need to spend some time in the fittings box behind the counter at autozone to adapt the fittings to your brake lines, but it's pretty damn easy.

Doc
Wow! what dept are they in, what are they used for ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
No problem.

Email me if you have any other questions about it.

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I have electric line locks that are engaged when they have power. I don't leave them on for more than short periods at a time. They are super nice to have on the trail, very trick. I have a friend who has left his on overnight without a problem. I think people just automatically say they burn out.

Jegs has a new one out and it looks sweet, I'm gonna order them for mine.

CJ

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
What you are talking about here is a "PARKING" brake. It is not an emergency brake. In this case, yes there is a difference.

Under normal circumstances, the E-BRAKE and P-BRAKE are one. What you are describing here implies that the hydraulic brakes are in working order and you simple want to lock the rear after applying the brakes to maintain the pressure to the rear.

That's fine, but it won't help in an emergency situation...when your hydraulics aren't working... I.E. : They aren't emergency brakes.

Note: I don't have either on my trail rig right now, just pointing out the difference.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Like rkcrawl said anything that uses the juice brakes on your rig makes for a pis poor emergency brake. You loos a wheel cylinder or a brake line and you just lost your emergency brake. This is why most are cable operated.

I would not use the electric line locks for a long period of time, they do get rather warm. I doubt they would "burn up" but I am sure it would greatly reduce their life.

If you just want a parking brake use the ball valve described above or a mico lock . the mico lock is just a fance pants version of the ball valve with cool guy handles.

If it where me I would just use a handle operated cable type brake. You can find cool industrial equipment brake levers at your local forklift service shop. they are a simple over center lever that is easily adjustable right at the handle. Just match it to a set of cables.

·
Registered
531 Posts
so with the manual style where do you put the ball valve? do you run the line in the vehicle and put it on the dash?

·
Registered
175 Posts
KAcrawler said:
so with the manual style where do you put the ball valve? do you run the line in the vehicle and put it on the dash?
You can. tators on this board has front and rear line locks run from master cyl to dash to brakes.

I've got a rear line lock for a parking break that goes from mast cyl to left floor board to rear brakes. The brake line isn't far from here. I cut it, flared it, drilled hole and put ball valve through floor board, then ran another brake line to the rear brakes as before. The line lock is easy to reach and out of the way for me.

Doc.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I have been running an electric "line lock" for about 5 years now. It has never heated up at all, even when I have left it on for a few hours. That being said it is still not an emergency brake.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
the JC Whitney $20ish works like a champ. I respool my winch while not having to be in the Jeep to hold the brake while I pull my brothers Cherokee up the driveway. Tight as hell! :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
so does anyone daily drive as well as wheel a rig with manual line locks and no e-brake? just curious. i guess im wondering how often brake lines or other components fail, as to how unsafe this would be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts