Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about having my aluminum tranny tunnel and firewall sprayed with Line-X. They both have heat shield material on the back side. The firewall is a couple inches from the headers.

Would the heat cause the Line-X to peel? Would mud stain it? Anybody else have their interior panels Line-Xed?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes it will melt and bubble up if it's too close to heat. Also, it is very flammable and hard to extinguish, once on fire. If you're looking for grip, why not just run grip tape?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I used a different brand on my crawler, Permatech. It looks great. only gripe is that sometimes around the very sharp edges (we made modular removable interior panels) it will peal off. Here are a few pics from my build:

-mud seems to power wash off very well, had this for over a year.
-heat is not a issue, but we made heat shields around exhaust

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong, but isn't lizard skin just some type of standard type paint with tiny glass beads in it that are supposed to deaden sound and provide the insulation? There are places that just sell the glass beads that you can add to your paint of choice. I want to line the inside of the tub of my Scout with something durable like linex but am a bit concerned after reading that it can be difficult to clean. I was doing research the other day on the glass beads like lizzard skin uses and most of the info I found said its not really very effective. for sound or noise

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes it is ver hard to put out once on fire. My cj burnt for the better part of 5 hours and was has line-x inside and underneath. When it started burning the liner went up fast

·
Registered
198 Posts
For easier cleaning they offer premium and xtra these are top coats for Added UV stability and stain resistance.

I have no experience with it catching on fire myself, but the material goes on at 230 degrees so it isn't that it has a low flashpoint and if it is really a concern ask your dealer for a quote on the fire rated compound.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
my last buggy had the floors coated...i liked it..it kept the floors looking good..not the scratched up worn look, but i had to kind of scrub it to get it clean..

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
The whole Interior of my 4Runner was coated with a spray in liner by the previous owner. It was NOT Line-X, but very durable and easy to clean. Typically spray in bed liners SUCK for heat and sound insulation. This is not what they are designed for, dont know why everyone thinks this... Interior of 4runner was hot as fuck around the transmission and transfer case with only spray liner (no carpet or insulation or mats, etc) and rear was very cold in cooler weather for same reason.

If you want heat or sound insulation get Lizard Skin, if you want spray liner, get that, but dont confuse the two. I would not expect a sound deadening material to fail with muddy boots in a footwell for example, but that is not what its made for.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Not Line-x, but I did my entire car. I'm happy with it, but people give me shit and say I'm driving around a bed liner car. As for cleaning, I just hose it off.

Attachments

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
line-x texture is GREAT for grip, but shitty to clean. the texture is a secondary process and makes little spikes. you CAN ask your line-x rep to NOT spray the texture. then you will have a rubbery, semi-smooth surface that is easy to clean, but wont afford you as much traction. you could have your rep just texture the floor areas, and leave other areas non-textured (it wont be perfect though, there will be some overspray texture)

Other liners, like Rino, the texture is not applied secondairly. and are more smooth and not so spikey.

liner does help with sound somewhat, not so much with heat.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just buy some duplicolor roll on and do it urself. It's a lot cheaper than payin someone and the texture isnt as aggressive than line-x. I did the Interior on my old bronco with it. After a couple hrs it was dry enough to get in and drive. It was easy to clean. Just scrub it with soap and degreaser and spray it out clean.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I'll just leave these here...

This is standard black Line-X. I'll try and answer any questions you might have. Shoot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts