Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into re-doing the suspension on my rock racer and was interested in what people think is a safe size of bolt for lower link. A lot of people are running 1.250 heims with 1" bolts, but that bolt seems way overkill. I am considering the ballistic fab joints with the 5/8 bolt hole. I would of course be running a grade 8 bolt. How many people have broken lower link bolts of this size or bigger? This rig sees a fair amount of abuse, mostly higher speed collisions with rocks and hard link impacts. Rig weighs about 3800lbs and has 40" tires with dana 70 axles front and rear.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
i'd say lowers 3/4" bolt uppers 5/8" bolt
i run 5/8" grade 8 for my uppers and lowers but im a 2700 4 banger with fj80 axles.
1" bolt would be stupid overkill

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you buy a good quallity 5/8" Gr8 it will be plenty.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
I've seen a couple broken 5/8" grade 8 link bolts, I wouldn't run anything smaller than 3/4" (but I'm one of those guys with 1" bolts :flipoff2:)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have bent [not broke] a 5/8" grade 8 bolt on a lower. Somewhat of a special case, because I have only one lower link on the rear. The joint failed and got clunky and by the time I figured out what was clunking the bolt was bent enough that I had to cut it out.

Marv

·
Registered
300 Posts
i break usa made grade 8 5/8 bolts about once a month. on my upper links with a double shear. i plan to upgrade the joint to a 3/4 soon to stop this. i have 1 grade 9 that has never broke. i use 1" on my lowers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What benefit is there of using a smaller bolt besides you can get hi misalignment bushings for them. Most Suspensions do not need all of that miss alignment to work. The weight is no different it just " Looks " heavier.

The plus side is you never have to worry about them again.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
benefit with ballistic joints is the joint itself, you can either get the smaller joint with 9/16 or 5/8 bolt or jump up to the 3" joint that takes 3/4 bolt. price is the main difference, and mounting a bigger wider joint. As long as space is available, i imagine the extra price shouldn't be the decider.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
3/4 lower...I think we use 9/16 uppers..never busted one yet...and it gets BEAT (well..not SHANNON CAMPBELL beat....more like Tom Campbell beat)..:D

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
<--- has broken a lot of shit, but never a 9/16" link bolt.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't beat it like Shannon, but try to on occasion:flipoff2: I am always shooting to beat him though.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I run 3/4" lower link bolts in 1.25x1 heims, and 1/2" upper link bolts in 3/4x5/8 heims.

We broke one 1/2" upper link bolt at KOH 08. First time this car has ever broken a link bolt. I'll probably swap it out for a higher grade bolt before KOH 09.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
3/4" for all of them, imo. Plenty, but not overkill.

Its great to have all nuts and bolt heads the same size too.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I run 5/8's on everything. 22klbs in shear strength is a lot. Add that it is double shear and I would think that you have to really screw up your design or your driving to break one. I do run 4 links though which better distributes the forces. Never broken a 5/8s bolt. Now that they are all the same size I only need two wrenches.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I wouldnt think the shear forces on the bolt under just wheeling conditions would be great enough to shear even a 9/16". I have seen guys with single or double triangulated suspensions on hard rolls shear 9/16" gr8 though. The axle took quite a bit of a side hit. Im sure the forces on the bolt in that situation are pretty high, and increase as link triangulation decreases.

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
I have a 4k# buggy with krawlers and I have broken tons of parts, but never any of my 9/16" grade 8 bolts link bolts. I am using johnny joints. Link seperation, and proper torque, and thick tabs have alot to do with broken link bolts.

-Lucas

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I run 3/4 bolts on my rockwell buggy with plenty of HP :flipoff2:

No issues yet, search my name for videos if you wana see how I wheel :smokin:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts