Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe ya'll call them something different, but what are you using for your link bushings? I am planning hiem at the frame end and rubber at the axle, but was wondering what people were finding that will stand up to the punishment? I assume a 3/4 tephlon rod end would work as well. Is the too much bind if we use rubber at both ends?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Something like this?

3/4-16 shank with a 5/8 bolt hole. There made out of 17-4 stainless

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmmmm I like that!!!!!! Would these be usable at all 4 corners? Or would that cause problems? Where do i get these, and how much? JJ are too expensive at this point as I am buying Fox Shox first. The link design is in R&D so I don't want to throw money away if I have to redo the ends a few times.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are poly bushings , not Rubber. I would think poly would be too stiff for links and not give the desired flex and shock isolation.

jeep2.5 said:
You could use the rod ends on the axle side and a johnny joint on the frame side. Or you could use a rubber bushing setup like here http://mountainoffroad.com/catalog/UnivBushAssy/uba.htm You could make your own and probably use a little thicker material. Rod ends at both ends would be a little harsh on the links, i.e. no give. :flipoff2:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
if you want to use poly bushings, i wish i would have started with the 1 7/8x0.188wall assemblies from offroad design. I have torn the sleeve apart on a 2"x0.120wall assembly that was welded to 1.5x0.25wall dom. also sheared the 9/16 bolt... if it happens too often i will either start using a jj (5/8" bolt) or have to step up to some bigger heims after that. Seems it'll be easier to modify brackets to go from poly/jj's to heims rather than vice versa if things don't hold up.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/bushingassemblies.htm

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Old Scout said:
Something like this?

3/4-16 shank with a 9/16 bolt hole. There made out of 406 stainless
says 5/8" bolt now... hmmm think i might change over to those from my poly bushings :D

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Danger Ranger said:

those are twice the price of the ones old scout linked... what's the difference?
Poly vs AM
1" vs 3/4"
mild steel vs stainless
1.75" wide vs 1.5"
9/16 vs 5/8

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Scout's are rubber and these are poly.

I think rubber would be better for flex and shock isolation. What have other experienced???????

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Danger Ranger said:

says 5/8" bolt now... hmmm think i might change over to those from my poly bushings :D
Yea my old eyes need a calibration! mine are 5/8"!

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
mudlite said:
Old Scout's are rubber and these are poly.

I think rubber would be better for flex and shock isolation. What have other experienced???????
Nope not rubber. Rubber suxs because oil,gas,grease,atf break it down.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I use poly bushings on both ends of my rear suspension links, No twisting mechanism at all, and over two years, I havent broken any bolts or completely ruined any bushings. In my application they work great, and provide plenty of shock absorbtion, and remain quiet. Some have become loose, but are cheap and easy to replace, and have lasted much longer than people report high quality heims in similar conditions.

On the last two suspensions I have built, I put a threaded mechanism to allow the links to twist freely, with great results. I think this will help the bushings live longer, and allows the suspension to be easily cycled during fabrication where it would not without.

With your setup, *heim at one end* you should be fine with any of the bushings posted above, imho. Although I do like the POLY PERF and ORD bushings the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
John I know that Steve has Johnny Joints on his buggie and they wear out and need to be tightened all the time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I use these from Rubicon Express. They are the Large Rubber bushing in thier control arms. They are a stock replacement bushing and can be found at any Jeep Dealer as well.

Here is a link

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=226

I use those on both ends of my suspension with 36 and 42 inch long control arms and have not ruined a bushing in a couple years now...

The vibration resistance of Rubber is second to none and I personally believe that if your suspension is designed properly it will not bind until you want it to. I am sure you agree.

Oh and as for the oil resistance and such. If my junk starts to leak. I fix it. You shouldn't leak anything.....

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Alaska ZJ said:
I use these from Rubicon Express. They are the Large Rubber bushing in thier control arms. They are a stock replacement bushing and can be found at any Jeep Dealer as well.

Here is a link

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=226

I use those on both ends of my suspension with 36 and 42 inch long control arms and have not ruined a bushing in a couple years now...

The vibration resistance of Rubber is second to none and I personally believe that if your suspension is designed properly it will not bind until you want it to. I am sure you agree.

Oh and as for the oil resistance and such. If my junk starts to leak. I fix it. You shouldn't leak anything.....

I also run these. They are very nice.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, these are nice too. How do you mount them? Do you press them into another sleeve or are you welding direct? What is the sleeve size that you are using?

Good info guys. Keep it coming. I know there is no right or wrong, just personal choice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts