Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order rest of parts for my link setup and been searching with no avail regarding thread direction on links. Here it goes.....

Is it worth it to have a left and right hand threaded ends for link adjustability w/o removing a mount bolt or be better to just use all right hand ends for ease of carrying a spare that can work all around and have to remove link mount bolt to adjust length. Its not like one would adjust them again after initial setup.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
personal preference. all of mine are RH thread, I adjust once and tighten them down and leave it. this way if a jam loosens it won't mess up alignment.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I thread my lowers all the way in so as not to bend shanks and run no adjustment so they are both rights. Uppers I run right/left because those I like to have adjustable

personal preference.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have left and right, so I can dial it in as I feel it needs. I can change the instant center, anti-squat, etc., to dial in the exact thing I want. You did bring up a downside to the left and right threads, though - the link jam nuts can come loose and the geometry can change. I look at my links while on the trail, and if they pass the witness marks, I move them back, then tighten the jam nuts again.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Why have threads in the first place?...at least on the lowers.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I like opposite on straight links, tighten the shit out of them and tack the jam-nuts, never given me problems. On links with a bend in them I run 2 rights because you can't spin them anyway and right hand jam-nuts are cheaper.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
All rights...easier to have and find spares and who needs instant fine tuning on a rockcrawler anyway. You can still adjust the link lengths with 2 rights if needed...most people never will.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Why have threads in the first place?...at least on the lowers.
Some of us run alumunium links. One of the down sides to having left and right threaded is if your tire rubs your link, and the jam nuts aren't tight, it can unthread your link from the joints.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If you don't need to change up a lot, use all RH threads. Easy, one part to buy and carry spares for and it does not work loose as easy.

·
Registered
19,460 Posts
I had drilled and tapped left and right on everything. If you aren't a puss you can hammer down the jam nuts tight enough they won't move. I loved being able to adjust them on the vehicle for fine tuning.

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
If you go crawling at the mall then run the left/right combo so you look cool. If you break your junk in the middle of no mans land your one right hand spare will fix it.
I would love to see a tire spin off a link and pole vault the buggy into the air. As long as the sorry sob had his harness on.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Some of us run alumunium links. One of the down sides to having left and right threaded is if your tire rubs your link, and the jam nuts aren't tight, it can unthread your link from the joints.
Let a lady me into putting right/lefts on the links in case she wanted to adjust stuff or change the pinion angle. Ok fine, I protested. A bit later, while running Indy (hard trail) I'm informed of when her jam nuts came loose and the axle was able to walk sideways out of 'center'.

Easily fixed there on the trail, but that was the last time I did left-right threads.

·
Vendor
1,000 Posts
I like left and right but mostly for the initial alignment, and it's nice to be able to line it up later when things aren't the same as when they started. In some rigs, alignment doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
what kind of redneck backwoods hillbilly doesn't run L/R joints ? :laughing::laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
For aligning the axle the ease of having left and right joints is unmatched.

For peace of mind once they're in place I torqued the jam nuts and then put a heavy tack from them to the tube adapters.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you go crawling at the mall then run the left/right combo so you look cool. If you break your junk in the middle of no mans land your one right hand spare will fix it.
I would love to see a tire spin off a link and pole vault the buggy into the air. As long as the sorry sob had his harness on.
WOW :shaking::shaking::rolleyes: ....I run left and right Hiem joints it allows me to fine tune the suspension If you cant afford to have a left and right spare you should not wheel a linked rig...:shaking: Sure you could run all right hand thread but that dosent make it the best option...

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
It comes down to personal preference. Left/right is the fastest adjustment and safer method when under load. Right/right is cheaper,more available, and requires more wrenching which also is part of it's safety once adjusted. I don't mind the wrenching as it is also part of the hobby.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts