Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats wrong with a link end like this? I thing one of the yj coil kits uses this idea, but thats the only place Ive seen it, why? I cant think of anything help me out.
gray is link and frame mount, yellow are washers, red are bushings. you guys can visualise the nut on the back side, I didnt feel like drawing one. would be the frame end of the lower links on a front 3 or 4 link. There are many cars and trucks that use this setup in a-arm or macpherson front suspension on the tensile-compressive rod to handle braking and acceleration forces.
So why not in a linked SAS? I could weld the tc rod on my IFS into some tubing and reuse the factory hardware and bushings. It would see very similar loads as stock, so I think it would hold up. Or I could find something heavier (maybe a IFS Chevy?) and use its tc rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ford used that same idea for mounting radius arms to the frame... you won't get much travel before it starts to bind though.

If you're going to do it that way, I'd put a couple of side braces on the plate to keep it from bending.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I am using classic Bronco radius arm bushings on my lower control arms up front. You can get rubber ones that have about a 1" I.D. I did it because I still drive my rig every day and want some isolation. I get plenty of front travel (custom 4-link) with no tearing of the bushings. I did have to make skids for them as everything kept getting bent.

·
Registered
857 Posts
my upper controll arms front and rear are ford radius arm bushings (11.00/pair) no problems yet (3 months)

dont ave any pics on this computer but i did post some a month or so ago search under my user name

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
redruM said:
my upper controll arms front and rear are ford radius arm bushings (11.00/pair) no problems yet (3 months)

dont ave any pics on this computer but i did post some a month or so ago search under my user name
I found those pics, thanks, looks awesome. Are you using rubber or poly and where did you get them? any guess as to what angles they could take reliably?

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
rememeber the warn black diamond kit ? same setup. it would probally work just fine

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
That's the same way my ladder bar is setup at the shackle. Seems to work fine for me.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
all nissan patrols and landcruiser 80/100 series 79 series utes use this on the front of the radius arms,

also ruff posted pics a while back of a guy down here running that setup..

range rovers use it too.

i dont see it being a problem

·
Registered
391 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
all nissan patrols and landcruiser 80/100 series 79 series utes use this on the front of the radius arms,

also ruff posted pics a while back of a guy down here running that setup..

range rovers use it too.

i dont see it being a problem
Patrols & rovers use that setup, but the cruisers have an eyelet type bushing on the radius arms.

It works well as long as the link is perpendicular to the face of the mount at the centre of your range of travel, otherwise it will bind up in one direction, and the other direction will still have heaps of room to spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts