Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a pic of my front lower link bracket at the frame, that I have fabbed up. My question is to those who have mounted their links this way with a tube through the frame to mount links too; Have you found this to be a strong way to mount your links?

I am fairly certain it will be very strong, but I have thoughts of beefing it up with a thicker shoulder around the tube. Anyone think this is necessary? If so let me see pics of what you built.

Does anyone make prefabbed shoulder that would work? Like a thick bushing with a 1.75" fishmouth in it.

If its strong enough tell me and I will get on without my paranoia, I just like to build shit once. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
The first thought that comes to mind would be to put a "doubler" on each side of the steel sleeve you have welded through the frame tube. Picture a large OD washer slipped over the end of your bolt sleeve, then formed around the frame tube. This is welded to both the sleeve and the frame tube, all around. It gives you a much larger weld area and helps to distribute the load of the sleeve over more area of the frame tube. We do this a lot with the vacuum truck bodies we build. I would do this on both sides of the frame tube where the sleeve goes through.

If you have trouble pictring this, I can try to make a quick model and export a .jpg to email to you.

HTH

Chad

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the tube you have threw the frame is now stronger than the bracket you are welding to the tube .i have used the same mount you are building with no problems.

moove along now:D

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i would run it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think my paranioa is gone. Frankie and Camo, I have seen pics of the desctruction both of you can do and that says a lot. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts