Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you need a recovery strap thats 40 ft in length but you only have a 30 ft strap and a 20 ft strap. Whats the safest way to link these two straps together?

I know you aren't supposed to link them using a shackle or tie them together using a knot (not sure why anyone would want to tie them together (strength factor aside) because after jerking on the straps you would probably have a hell of a time un-doing the knot, afterwards).

The only 2 ways I can think of doing it is:

1) to take 20 ft strap and thread it through the eye of the 30 ft strap and double up the 20 footer so both eye ends are together and even and you now have 10 ft of doubled up strap + 30 ft of the other single line strap.

2) as above except thread the one eye of the 20 ft strap thru the other eye so you end up with a choker (although I believe by doing this the rating of the strap is lower than it is if used as a straight (verticle) strap). If I did this would the choker strap be difficult to release because of the tightening of the choke section once it was put under load from the jerk force?

Am I missing any other option?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Option 1 would work, or option 2 but do the opposite...double the 20' still, the use the 30', thread one loop through the other and you have your "choker", it won't be too difficult to get back apart.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
scope said:
What is wrong with linking them together with a shackle?
Other than the projectile it would be the wrong length.......he needs 40 and has 50

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Linking them with a shackle got someone killed last year at a mud bog back east.Dont do it!!!I know we all have, but after reading the thread about it on this board I think twice about how I tow someone out!!!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
So then using a shackle on a tree saver is a bad idea too????

Use a fawking jacket over the strap like a winch cable and b safe.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Jason M said:

I would like to know the better way of doing this also...how else do you hook to a tree saver?

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
What about linking them by threading the 30 foot through the eye of the 20 footer and the tag end of the 20 footer through the eye of the 30 footer. It endsup looking a lot like a square knot.
Like this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Jason M said:

I wouldn't think so. A tree saver would be hooked up in a "basket" which would double the strength of it.
From Billa's recovery article in the tech section:
Any good tree-saver strap (sling) will be marked with Safe Working Loads (or Working Load Limits) listed for Vertical (or straight), basket, and choker. Be sure you are using a sufficiently rated piece of gear for the way on which you rig it. Choker ratings are significantly less that straight or basket. For example, on my own professionally made (hoisting industry) web slings (tree savers) 3" wide, 2 ply nylon are marked:

Vertical 8,400 lbs

Basket 16,800 lbs

Choker 6,300 lbs

As you can see, with my 8000lb Warn 8274, it is perfectly safe as a basket hitch, marginal as a straight sling, and not a good idea to use it in a choker hitch configuration.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
trkklr77 said:
put a stick or something throught the center so they dont bind them selfs together
Good Call:smokin:

I use an old broken saltwater fishing rod for this type of thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dont use wood get 6x2 alluminum bar, its light strong enough and you a can use it more then once or twice

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Comparing a tree saver with a shackle to a couple snatch straps joined with a shackle really is apples and oranges, completely different materials and loads. Treesavers are constructed more like lifting slings, with little to no elongation, where a snatch strap can have as much as 25% elongation when under load. The loads applied to a tree saver with a winch are slowly elevated where a snatch strap, the loads spike due to the yank. Same as standing on a bathroom scale, step onto it and it will move smoothly up to your weight, now while on it, if you jump, the needle jumps to a much larger number than your total weight due to the spike as you land.

As for joining the two snatch straps, using a piece of wood works great to keep them from becoming permanently one strap.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Urban Wheeler said:
I wouldn't think so. A tree saver would be hooked up in a "basket" which would double the strength of it.
From Billa's recovery article in the tech section:
So using the correct equipment that is in good condition is the answer.

Comparing a tree saver with a clevis to dual snatch straps mated with a clevis is the same thing. If the first strap breaks (again, make sure that your equipment is rated properly and is in good condition) OR if the tree saver breaks then you have the kinetic energy stored in the second strap to pull the shackle towards you.

It is not apples to oranges, it is oranges to oranges. Both involve a "spring" of sorts on one side.

A shackle is perfectly safe, as long as your equipment is in good condition and is built to handle the job...

that being said, I do like the concept of looping the two pieces together the best.
I would think that a piece of PVC (small gauge schedule 80) would be the best "pin"

·
Registered
123 Posts
straps

IMHO a tree saver is only 6 ft or so and does not strech by design. Used properly as a anchor should it break it stores little energy, and if you have your cable weighted like you should it would stop the tree saver. Onthe other hand a snatch strap stores energy by design to help a lighter vehicle recover a larger vehicle through the storage of energy and the mometum of the tug vehicle.Just my thoughts on the subject. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts