Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During all these recent Gen III & IV threads someone mentioned that we should have an LS bible thread and since I am currently going through a learning curve about my new LS2 engine, I figured it might be a good time to start the LSx Bible thread, or whatever you would like to call it. Kind of like TheRipper's rockwell thread. (Which was my bible when I was learning about my rocks.)

I'm not going to police this thread and keep it current every time some LS info comes up like TheRipper does the rockwell thread. I just dont' have the time or patience. But I'm sure that people here will do it for me as they seem to be doig for TheRipper in that thread.

I'd like to keep the trash out of here as much as possible. It seems like every time someone even mentions LS people start talking about what is better, worse, how you could spend equal amounts of money and get more power with other engines, etc. Everyone has their $0.02 and if we put it all in here we'll have about $1,983,004.06. That being said though, unfortunately, that BS clouds some good info threads, so I understand that it will rear its ugly head at least a little.

Also, I know there are great threads on other boards so feel free to link to them. I know ls1tech.com and others have to have some amazing info. I just haven't had the time or courage to dive headlong into those yet.

I'll start out with what I've found so far that has been informative:

Fuel pump and fitting info:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664206&highlight=ls+fuel+pump

Great drive-by-wire info:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628796&highlight=gm+drive+wire

Some more DBW info and info on converting from DBW to cable throttle:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704663&highlight=gm+drive+wire

I haven't even begun intensive searching yet so expect more and feel free to add whatever you have found useful.

Finally, if something like this already exists, sorry to waste your life. I'l delete it if it exists here already.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info but is there a larger file or anything? I can't read that. Possibly a link to the thread?

J. J.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Unfortantly the original thread has the same size pictures. Maybe ls1toyota has a larger file. I had to use my wives reading glasses to read it:homer:

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like he got them from alldatadiy.com. You have to have a subscription to get them, which may be worth it, but judging by the demo the paid versions are not much better.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Three bits of data from the fuel post above that I recently used/ordered.
Later vortecs(2004+) went to single line in.

In that case, using a late model corvette fuel filter helps and has built in fuel regulator. ACDelco P# GF822. Bad news is the outlet side uses one of the quick clip fittings:shaking: So you either need to cannibalize a car to get that fitting or be lucky to have a flaring tool to do that style:flipoff2:

To convert from the clip on fittings of the fuel rails to AN fittings, you can use Russel fittings:
P#640860 5/16" return line
P#640850 3/8" pressure side

I needed one of the 5/16" fittings for return line of fuel filter. I needed two of the 3/8" fittings: one for the pressure side of the fuel filter and one for the pressure side of the engine.

Pictures can be provided as I have them here boxed still.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't understand ... you say that you have to cannibalize a car or have a flaring tool but then in the next sentence list a fitting. Please explain ...

J. J.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The fittings are $15 each if you don't have an OEM hose that will work. Quick connect means no flare tool is going to magically turn a steel line into something that will work.

5/16" q/c fitting, $15.39 at Summit:

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. So you're saying it'd be cheaper to flare a factory hose and make that work but the fitting is a good option given the lack of the factory hose ...

J. J.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Quick connect means no flare tool is going to magically turn a steel line into something that will work.
More appropriately, a cheap flaring tool will not make something that works:p

Picture shows the resulting flare from a Mastercool flaring tool(P#71475) I flipped out today... think $200 and change for the tool:homer:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
More appropriately, a cheap flaring tool will not make something that works:p

Picture shows the resulting flare from a Mastercool flaring tool(P#71475) I flipped out today... think $200 and change for the tool:homer:
The cheaper alternative is the Dorman 800-155 3/8" x 12" fitting (~$9) with a double bead on both ends. Cut it in half and a)use a compression fitting to attach it to your fuel line and b) it will slide into the Russell and/or GM connectors. (The 5/16" is 800-154)

Here is a link to the Dorman catalog with their fuel fittings: http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents4rb/135-145QuickDisconnectBuyersGuide.pdf

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 398 Posts