Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
true but it would be hard to keep up wtih all threads..

and im sure lance dont want that topic here sticky.. so.. was thinking of other options..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ripper and all looking for breakdown pics, take a look at the Army TM's that I posted up there in post #30. That is the complete set that the military uses (used) to work on these pigs. Plenty of pics in there.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Shit, I totally forgot about having to do that, I am an ass, and I apologize, I will grab the t.o. when I get home tonite, my dumbass was just looking at it yesterday.

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Alright, I checked my t.o. which is one of the ones from the above post. I thought it had a complete picture breakdown of the rockwells, but unfortunately it does not. Not only did I dick you guys, but I dicked myself as well. I printed 168 pages worth of stuff that is almost worthless to me for reassembling my rockwells. I bought them disassembled and was just gonna pull my head out of my butt and figure them out. Instead I tried to do something right for once and look up the proper info. This obviously didnt work out and I feel like I am now dumber for having done it. Sorry for the complete ramble, but I'm currently a little irritated with myself. I now owe you all beer.

Dane

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
fixed it so you dont have to do that

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Okay,

I am looking to go with Rocks on my 85 4Runner.

I read almost every thread in this VERY HELPFUL post but might have missed something.

1. What is the gear ratio in 2.5 Rockwell axles??

2. My rig is currently 3600 pounds with Yota axles and 37" MTR's. I will plan on using my stock little 4 banger till this motor goes as well as my 4.7 Marlin case. Until I can afford to switch up to something else, will I be able to safetly run 44" TSL's or IROKS without much worry of any kind in regards to breakage? Then, once the motor and all goes, I am wanting to step to either a 4.3 V-6 or a 350. Will they still be alright with the weight of the rig and that size motor?

I know these are some dumb ass newbie questions but I am in SERIOUS need of the answers.

Oh, and I have some people I know that run Unimogs and they say that stock for stock, the Unimogs is a stronger axle, Is this true? One guy inparticular says that Rockwells are a 2.5 ton axle filled with peanut butter. :confused:
Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Axle ratio is 6.72.

To give you an idea, my rig is estimated at around 5000lbs, running a Magnum 360, stock NV3550, stock NP231 and 44in TSL. I havent wheeled it a whole lot, but the only thing Ive broken so far is a motor mount. Which I have since found out is a known weak item.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
FatA$$ Toyota said:
Okay,
I am looking to go with Rocks on my 85 4Runner.
Thanks
Aaron,
Not to shoot down you plans but some things to consider with running rockwells

big tires cost ALOT
tires for rocks and big tires cost ALOT
they weigh ALOT, working on them, fixing them, mounting them, towing a rig with them on it would suck
they are huge, making your truck alot higher and we already know your prone to rollovers
bigger tires/bigger truck means you must go farther in search of difficult terrain.
Also harder to fit on trails
The peanut butter comment is in regards to the material used in making the axleshafts and maybe the gears. But remember that these are old axles and metallurgy has made great improvements since these axles were produced.

With what you have they would work, heck what you have works!
Anyway I would rethink the engine swap idea though. I give credit to toyota stuff for taking some abuse, but that is in its original package of a light truck powered by a 4 cyl. if you put a v8 in front of a yota tranny you'll have yet one more thing to think about upgrading.
I do have a 465/203/205 that would work great though, but then why don't you just start fresh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
FatA$$ Toyota said:
Oh, and I have some people I know that run Unimogs and they say that stock for stock, the Unimogs is a stronger axle, Is this true?
Thanks
That depends very much on which UniMoGaxle (Model) you are referring too, a 2.5 RW will be significantly stronger than a UMG 401 for example. ...When will people learn that it exists a shitload of different UniMoGaxles :flipoff2:

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I don't think a mog axle has as much strenght as a rock honestly...but then again it could depend on how the rock was treated before you got it and how old the shafts are.There are some people here that say they have broke numerous axles and most people I have met in real life have never broke one or have only broke a rear when running rear steer and 53" tires that weigh a few pounds shy of 300lb's and a big motor with lot's of throttle.If you run the toy motor and 42" shaved rockwell's I don't think you will ever have a problem with breakage but maybe the every once in a while freak break.Evrything break's sooner or later we all just want it to be later.I am going to get the reer oversoon standard spline axle shaft's for my rear rock just so I will always know I have one axle to take me home or back to the trailer atleast.They are only like $185 a piece and made from moly..For your weight issuse with a rear and front rock I would say you would add about 875lb's to your axle weight.you would haft to add the tire weight up seperate.If I was running your motor I would run the 42" irok's on a set of 20" rim's to keep that simple.then just shave the rock's and get the ground clearence you need with no problem.The 4.3 liter would be a great mod to get alot more power but not to much where you worry about breakage again.The extra weight is kinda of a good thing because it is all under your rig on the ground so it helps you from turnning over.And also helps with traction.You can also go with milatary tires to help keep the cost down.I got my set that look like brand new for $500 for all 4.To the penut butter thing I would hate to eat penut butter that strong because there would be no teeth left in the mouth... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
TheRipper said:
I don't think a mog axle has as much strenght as a rock honestly...but then again it could depend on how the rock was treated before you got it and how old the shafts are.There are some people here that say they have broke numerous axles and most people I have met in real life have never broke one or have only broke a rear when running rear steer and 53" tires that weigh a few pounds shy of 300lb's and a big motor with lot's of throttle.If you run the toy motor and 42" shaved rockwell's I don't think you will ever have a problem with breakage but maybe the every once in a while freak break.Evrything break's sooner or later we all just want it to be later.I am going to get the reer oversoon standard spline axle shaft's for my rear rock just so I will always know I have one axle to take me home or back to the trailer atleast.They are only like $185 a piece and made from moly..For your weight issuse with a rear and front rock I would say you would add about 875lb's to your axle weight.you would haft to add the tire weight up seperate.If I was running your motor I would run the 42" irok's on a set of 20" rim's to keep that simple.then just shave the rock's and get the ground clearence you need with no problem.The 4.3 liter would be a great mod to get alot more power but not to much where you worry about breakage again.The extra weight is kinda of a good thing because it is all under your rig on the ground so it helps you from turnning over.And also helps with traction.You can also go with milatary tires to help keep the cost down.I got my set that look like brand new for $500 for all 4.To the penut butter thing I would hate to eat penut butter that strong because there would be no teeth left in the mouth... :flipoff2:

:laughing: :laughing:

Thanks man. That info helps me out quite a bit actually. Also thanks to the others who responded, all the info was helpful. Oh, and great thread Ripper, keep it going.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Boyce has the diff/axle breakdown images on there site as well.
Look in the 2.5 ton axle parts price list section and click on the links.

I tried to post the image and link, but it didnt work.

41 - 60 of 501 Posts