Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The company I work for sent me to Ogden, UT for a Project startup. And on my off day. I rented a jeep from Cliffhanger jeep rental. 2006 Rubicon. Anyhow. My wife and I made it to Lions Back. and the family who USED to own it were cleaning out the buildings at the base of lions back. They said some guy bought it and was gonna build condo's at the Base next to it. Come Monday morning they were PERMENTLY blocking off the entrance to Lions Back.:eek:
I know Lions Back is not an extreme trail? But, it is kinda a ICON of Moab.
I climbed it twice during the day and once on my way back at night.
Just thought it was kinda sad to see it end. Glad I got to do it before it was gone.
:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

·
Registered
159 Posts
man if this is true that sucks as I still wanted to climb that

·
Registered
757 Posts
i dont belive it

there is no way

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I thought the area around it was public land and just the entrance way in from the road was private?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy who was cleaning out the buildings said they sold an 80acre block to this guy from cali. And Monday Dozers were pushing in big boulders to block the entrance. Then Construction on the Condo's was to start. Never been to Moab before. But, Glad I made it before the end of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
lions back is or was privately owned and to drive on their property it costed a small fee. This is how it was at least in 2005 when i was last there.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
They were still charging a fee last year. Someone post some pics of the boulders when they're moved into block the entrance.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
That sucks a wet mop. I haven't gotten there to do it yet.

:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I don't think that there were any buildings at around the Lions Back when I was there sometime in the late 70's and early 80's. Certainly never paid anyone, just drove up with a bunch of friends.

Dave

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would imagine because it isn't a continuous trail that the new property owner could easily legally block it. Another concern is what will happen to the Hell's Revenge exit. I know it is pretty darn close if not crossing this piece of land.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts