Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oops. I guess I can be just as inmature as the fellas dumping 87 octane in the LS. My appologies. I am not hating on wheelers, I am hating on the irresponsible wheelers that are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
sqdave said:
I am hating on the irresponsible wheelers that are going to ruin it for the rest of us.
Aren't we all... :shaking:

My point about YOUR statement of "I am surprised that we are allowed up there at all while there is runoff on the trail." is was I was referring to in my last post. Do you think these actions that you are complaining of "dumping oil and fuel" would be acceptable when there is no runoff? Of course you don't. I was commenting on not going to the Rubicon while there is runoff because of EROSION. Isn't that why you don't want to hit the trail when it is wet (Mr experienced)? I mean it is pretty much common sense that you should not be dumping oil and fuel on the trail regardless of the runoff.

And yes, I am one of THOSE people who do run the box. Not to show off but to wheel. I would most definitely prefer to run it while no one is around, that goes for the box or the entire trail. When I say no one, I especially mean the type of dumb $*% that would be concerned about what kind of music I am playing in my own vehicle. Mind your own business if the music is not obscenely loud, do you think you own the place? Like I said in my previous post "If you are playing your stereo then be respectful of others". I have wheeled with at least one of the POR playing that damn rap music, personally I enjoyed it (and even have some of the same CDs). :D

I have been going to the Con long before the "crowd" showed up and I assure you that I will be going until they close it down. I do my part to keep the trail in shape by treading lightly and hauling out more than I hauled in, for sure. Not sure why you started running your mouth about "white boys" and rap music but again, it shows what kind of person you are (and I am sure your mom would be proud :eek: ).

Regarding the litter, I don't think trash cans along the trail would be the solution. Who would empty the cans when they get full (in about an hour and a half)? I think putting trash cans along the trail would promote people to fill them, quickly. I mean what are you going to do, put trash cans and signs that say "responsible people, please don't use the trash cans because they fill up to quickly. litter bugs, please use the trash cans because we can't pick up after you fast enough.". I would also be concerned about the animals getting into the garbage (as previously mentioned). Dumpsters at either end of the trail I am a fan of. A garbage truck could get in and out of there pretty easily. Education is key, if we can keep others informed it would be beneficial. As Del says you will never be able to convince them all but if you convince one then you have made progress. Thanks to all who have spent their own time at the trail head to pass out bags and paperwork, I do think that is helping.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I'm leaving in 5 hrs

Heading to the Con. with alot of trash bags. I hope I only need enuff to pick up after myself, but am bringing extra cause, well you know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
my .02

noise pollution is not the problem on the trail shutting down, worry about the trash on the groung.

·
Registered
167 Posts
JW said:
... it shows what kind of person you are ...
There you go judging again. I wish I were that good! I am actually one of the most wonderful people you could ever know. I just dislike rap music. That is not a crime. That is a choice.

No. Obnoxious music is not going to get the trail shut down. If it ever happens, which I hope it doesn't, it will be irresponsible wheeling, trash, and poop that will get it shut down. We all know that.

I thought wheeling was supposed to be a family experience. I guess I need to pack ear plugs for my children to wear as we pass the LS. Along with the other instructional signs proposed for the entrance of the trail, maybe we need a big sign stating that this trail contains explicit lyrics and you must be at least 17 to go on the trail. That type of potty mouth is not allowed on the Rubicon forum, and should not be broadcast across the Rubicon.

Your right. Other people on the trail should listen to their music in a respectful manner that doesn't interfere with others enjoyment of the trail. I don't turn my music up full blast, and neither should you, regardless of genere.

Thank you and have a nice day. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
noise pollution

please keep in mind , resource damage ,staying on the trail ,human waste , water quality , sediment ,soil displacement ,and cleaning up after breakage ,are our top enemies, besides esp and maybe some tree huggers that work for the fs . :shaking: :eek: :barf: :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
sqdave said:
I thought this was a white boy activity.
If you simply don't like rap what's with this comment?

If you also think rap is the only music that has expicit lyrics, you don't get out much.

"Other people on the trail should listen to their music in a respectful manner that doesn't interfere with others enjoyment of the trail. I don't turn my music up full blast, and neither should you, regardless of genere." Hey, now this makes sense dude. It almost sounds like you are coming to your senses. Your statement I quoted above sounds very much like my intital suggestion of "If you are playing your stereo then be respectful of others". Maybe I am making progress here. I hope you did not initally mistake me for whom ever was pissing you off at the box???

Congrats, I think you are finally getting it. :) Just don't go to far with it, if you were actually "one of the most wonderful people I could ever know" you wouldn't be here on Pirate claiming to be that person you would be showing it with your actions. But there is still time for that, furtunatly...

Maybe we will meet on the trail this summer, we can enjoy a cold soda and listen to some music together. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Absolutely. As long as we pack out our trash and it isn't rap and we don't crap on the trail afterwards!

I don't know if my actions last year of helping with the Miller swamp project or the Wentworth water bar project would pre-qualify me for that or not? :angel: If I can get a couple issues figured out on my rig I will be out there this summer, too, enjoying soda and working on the trail!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh, and as for the white boy activity, I am assuming that the majority of rap is composed by people of color. I have yet to see any people of color on the trail in their rig, enjoying wheeling to it's greatest. Have you? I am sure they might have gone out on a day that I wasn't there, which is why I ask. I am not opposed to people of color enjoying the trail, it is a public right of way and everyone has a right to be there, as long as they play their music in a manner I would expect from anyone else on the trail. I would hate for anyone to get the wrong impression of me based on your comments. :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
Trash is everywhere and always will be. I can walk down my street and find something. Some people are just idiots and we are left to clean up after them. Not saying it is right, just the way it is. I usually come out with a bagfull each trip.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
roundeye said:
Back to the topic of Litter. Would it make sense for us at this point to put garbage cans along the trail where we're finding trash? Maybe a little sign that says, if you must litter, then please put your trash in here.
That way, some of the great folks who are willing can just grab the bag full of trash on their way out. I am sure we can get both the gabage cans and bags donated.
I think this would be a good idea. There is a view that we should only support pack it in, pack it out and some even see having dumpsters at the entrances as an eroding of that policy. I disagree completely. I do fully agreee with the pack it in, pack it out philosophy...and do this myself...but view it as ideallistic not reality. Honestly, I have the same view for pooh. I'd like to see bathrooms at all entrances and disperse along the trail. Again, it is just not realistic to believe all people will carry out their pooh...even if they are required to carry buckets and wag bags. Sure most on this forum will, but were just a drop in the bucket out there.

All of this is why we need a basicly level of trail management by the agencies responsible for it...Forrest Service, County, and private land owners...with assistance from FOTR, etc. I just hope that by opening the door to managment, we don't see the trail become a weekend a bernies or some sort of lights out at 10:00PM formal camp ground. There needs to be a balance and an understanding that management costs money.

·
Registered
176 Posts
NOTPRETTY said:
I just hope that by opening the door to managment, we don't see the trail become a weekend a bernies or some sort of lights out at 10:00PM formal camp ground. There needs to be a balance and an understanding that management costs money.
I thought that prior to the closure at Spider that it was like a weekend at Bernies :confused:

Unfortunatly it looks like things are getting better up there as far as the MEGA crowd party at the box. I guess we will see next weekend. I say unfortunatly because I think this is primarily due to the areas near to the lake being closed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To my suprise, the trail wasnt that drity, most poeple cleaned up after themself. But still there was a little bit of "flaver soda water" can in the camp sites, but not too bad. :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just got back yesterday.I think for the most part the trail looked somewhat clean Found some shit flowers here and there but not like in the past.Most rigs I saw were carrying a bucket.We were camped up at the end of LS by Dollar Hill.We did stop some fucking idiots from cutting a standing dead tree.They thougt it would be ok because the tree was dead.Ran into two wheelers at just below Buck where the Trail Tough group was at.The two guys we ran into said they just finished cleaning the area (table bilt on to trees by creek).They said they just got through cleaning the site but left the big bag of unburnt shit on the camp fire..Well if this is the case the TT people should stay in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I believe it is legal (With proper permit) to cut standing dead less that 10" at eye level. Just fyi.

·
Registered
244 Posts
yes it is legal to cut dead standing trees with a permit.. I have used that permit before.. As far as trash goes, there are some dumpsters at the end of the pavement at Loon Lake.. So you can haul your trash from the trail and dump it there instead of trying to burn your beer cans in the fire pits..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yep...Dump my trash there all the time.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I dump my trash there as well, when they are not overflowing (you have got to be lucky though).

JW

41 - 60 of 72 Posts