Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

any insite from the pro's as to what may have happened? im thinking i didn't have the bolts tightened down enough and they backed off, causing the screw to push the locking tab out (pic 1) which caused it to fall out, or if somehow there was enough force to turn the bearing retainer cap all the way out?

if it matters, this happened in a 79 F150 with 9" rear, 4.56 gears, welded, and the gears were done in the winter.

it happened going up an incline with a vertical ledge, and as soon as my tires pressed up against the ledge, it let go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
that's a known problem area with the 9" rear.it only takes a little wear on the collar and some pounding on the gear to pop that out.get a 70 or a sterling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What I was thinking is if the main caps was not torqued or losened they could've done that.

I replied to you PM crimsen.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cap was lose on that one side, but if that happened before or after the retainer cap fell out i do not know (i drove probly 60ish miles to get home with it in), or even if it is what caused it to fall out. i do imagine tho that i did mess up when i put the gears in in the winter, and it just finally let go. ahh well, all the more reason now to get a bigger and beefier rear axel.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brought the 14b home today. 4.56 gearing open carrier so gonna weld her up and toss her in once i give her a checking over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts