Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Made a rookie mistake. I set up and installed my gears and Zip locker, not realizing that I had to preheat and weld the Artec truss to it. I read that a leading cause of gear failure was lack of preload. I assure you mine has no lack of preload. Ended up fabing up a crude redneck case spreader with scrap and a $30 trip to Home Depot. It works remarkably well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Started mapping out the front end.

One thing I’m not sure about is the fitment of the highsteer arms and tie ins. Am I missing something? When I line up the tube for the tie in it doesn’t seem to be on a section of the high steer arm where it will meet at 90 degrees.

Am I missing something or are the arms incorrect.

2 of the 3 bolts on my Saginaw box line up with the holes where my Mercedes box mounted. I’ll have to cut out and re-sleeve the 3rd hole.

I think the steering and panhard will have room. I’ll have to fab a pitman arm and double sheer point in my highsteer arm. I think the panhard will have room to squeeze between the pitman and diff cover.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Reason for swapping boxes. Easier to tap for hydro? Builds looking good, you’re farther on your LJ build than I am

The Saginaw box is out of a Camara Iroc or Pontiac W56, it’s a 12:1 box instead of 15:1. It’s only 2.25 turns lock to lock, the instead of 3. I converted it to a manual box. The power steering will be handled by a Sweet valve.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Is the 14 bolt not a lot of work and adds so much weight when running 35's?

In a perfect world it’d have fabed 9”s front and rear with a bunch of trick parts...

In my world 14 bolt was dirt cheap, 69” WMS matches my front, 8 x 6.5” matches my front, shaved it has the same clearance as a Dana 44, and it’s super strong. I have 37”s for rec wheeling and this combo should be able to take anything I may want to throw at it in the future.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I see they changed the air bump rules and you can't use coil overs.

Yep. I bought stinger bumps right before I saw the new rule book. Ended up having to sell those and hunt down some air bumps. Not being able to run coilovers really complicates things, but I guess that’s the point of the class. Finding coils that fit the bill is a PITA. So far the Curry 4” coils seem to be the best fit, but John Currie told me they would probably be a little stiff and that I might end up having to get a custom set made. I’m guessing my LJ will probably weigh a little more than the LJ Currie used to race, so hopefully they work out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd bet you'll be fine with the Currie coils, I've got them front and rear and my TJ gets after it pretty good. If I had bumps and 2.5s in the front itd be real fast. Do the rules allow you to run IBP's or no, those would be tits.

A friend of a friend had custom coilovers springs made for his powerwagon through H&R I think, might be worth a shot if that's the route you have to take

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'd bet you'll be fine with the Currie coils, I've got them front and rear and my TJ gets after it pretty good. If I had bumps and 2.5s in the front itd be real fast. Do the rules allow you to run IBP's or no, those would be tits.

A friend of a friend had custom coilovers springs made for his powerwagon through H&R I think, might be worth a shot if that's the route you have to take

No bypasses allowed. I heard Betts spring will do custom coils as well. Hopefully I won’t need them.

·
Registered
67 Posts

No bypasses allowed. I heard Betts spring will do custom coils as well. Hopefully I won’t need them.

Haven't heard of them before, I'll have to look into them. I'm pretty sure the curries are about the best you can do in the space constraints and are slightly progressive I think. But if you're allowed to use custom cool buckets there might be room for improvement with custom springs

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think I figured out how to package the 2.5” x 14” shocks and still get 7” up travel in the front.

I had to ditch the Artec mounts. Pull out the CAD

And the plasma table. Lol

But I think I found a solution. I’ll have to use 1/2” cap screw instead of regular bolts for the bottom shock bolts, but that shouldn’t be an issue. The driver side will be a little harder to package, since there’s less tube.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I figured out how to package the 2.5” x 14” shocks and still get 7” up travel in the front.

I had to ditch the Artec mounts. Pull out the CAD

And the plasma table. Lol

But I think I found a solution. I’ll have to use 1/2” cap screw instead of regular bolts for the bottom shock bolts, but that shouldn’t be an issue. The driver side will be a little harder to package, since there’s less tube.

Looks good, I like that idea. I'm sure you know already, but I'd make the shocks as easy as possible to remove and install as possible for tuning purposes. When I redo my shock mounts next go around I'm going to make the lower mount holes slotted to try and decrease the time
spent dicking around with a gantry and chain hoist to get the bolt holes to line up

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got off work a little early and had a chance to fab up the driver side lower link and shock mount. It wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated. One extra bend and it clears.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
You may also want to look at Teraflex. They make a 5" lift, single rate spring. I'm building a TJ that is headed towards a 4500 car, but not sure it will actually go all the way - so it's little steps. For the time being, I am going to be running coils on the rear w/ Fox smoothies. In talking to my shock tuner (Ryan @ AccuTune) he suggested going with a single rate spring as he felt most of the dual rate springs are really too stiff. I bought a pair of the Teraflex ones to try out. Tera didn't have the compressed height, but I believe the wire was around 0.625", but fewer turns. I'll try and get some measurements tonight to estimate the compressed height and report back.
Sorry for the delay on following up on this, but I did take a few measurements on the Teraflex 5" coils. The wire is 0.650" diameter and is 5 full turns with the upper and lower coils a smaller diameter so they will collapse into each other as the spring collapses so basically it looks like the compressed length would be ~ 3.25". Free length of the coil is 16". Teraflex part 1844500. Just got them installed today, so no experience on them yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You may also want to look at Teraflex. They make a 5" lift, single rate spring. I'm building a TJ that is headed towards a 4500 car, but not sure it will actually go all the way - so it's little steps. For the time being, I am going to be running coils on the rear w/ Fox smoothies. In talking to my shock tuner (Ryan @ AccuTune) he suggested going with a single rate spring as he felt most of the dual rate springs are really too stiff. I bought a pair of the Teraflex ones to try out. Tera didn't have the compressed height, but I believe the wire was around 0.625", but fewer turns. I'll try and get some measurements tonight to estimate the compressed height and report back.
Sorry for the delay on following up on this, but I did take a few measurements on the Teraflex 5" coils. The wire is 0.650" diameter and is 5 full turns with the upper and lower coils a smaller diameter so they will collapse into each other as the spring collapses so basically it looks like the compressed length would be ~ 3.25". Free length of the coil is 16". Teraflex part 1844500. Just got them installed today, so no experience on them yet.
Good to know, I think the free length on the currie springs is 17.75" or 18.25" depending on if you get the 4" or 4.5" coils. I don't have one off to measure at the moment though

My old email with Marty when he was at Savvy said the TJ HD Rear springs have a free length of 18.25, and with a 690lb load on them a height of 13.5" if that helps at all.

The front springs I run are a CE-9132 Rev A with a free height of 22.6" and a loaded height of 15.75" with 825 lbs on it.

Pretty sure they're progressive though so not sure how much the loaded height helps

Do you have a picture or part number on those teraflex springs. Looking the 5" teraflex coils that pop up on Google it looks like 6, possibly 7 wraps

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Part number is in my post 1844500. Just to be clear these are rear springs. I will get a pic when I get back in the shop later. They are already installed, so it won't be as clear. They have five wraps which are at the full diameter, but then have an additional 3/4 to full wrap at each end of the spring that leads into the pig tail at the end. The OD of these last wraps is smaller than the ID of the five full size wraps, so as it compresses fully they will basically collapse completely into the 5 wrap stack on each end. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have a spreadsheet at work with the numbers I got from Currie and others. I’ll add the teraflex info and post it Monday.

21 - 40 of 178 Posts