Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Looking good man keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this on the U4 circuit this summer.

I’m trying to knock items off the punch list every day. I got the back bumper knocked out and the battery box mounted today after the kids went to bed. The. I ran out of wire. Doh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Got some fire extinguisher mounts made and the skid plate knocked out. The drivetrain is held up by a crossmember and the skid drops down with 6 bolts in the factory location. I’m trying to think ahead for ease of service.

I

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Looks nice. Don't forget to add some drain holes in the skid plate. I made my holes a tad larger than most, to facilitate getting the mud and pebbles out.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Cool build! I like your idea for the full belly skid, definitely thinking out of the box. One thought would be to separate the skid into two or three different sections so you don't have to pull the whole belly to change the oil or trans fluid. Wouldn't be hard to add some small corner gussets with a threaded hole to each section and then a countersunk head Allen bolt to hold them in place without any raised bolt heads to interrupt the nice smooth skid plates.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Cool build! I like your idea for the full belly skid, definitely thinking out of the box. One thought would be to separate the skid into two or three different sections so you don't have to pull the whole belly to change the oil or trans fluid. Wouldn't be hard to add some small corner gussets with a threaded hole to each section and then a countersunk head Allen bolt to hold them in place without any raised bolt heads to interrupt the nice smooth skid plates.

I’ve had the skid off and on several times by myself. There’s only 6 bolts and the whole thing lowers down with a floor jack. Doesn’t get much faster than that. I don’t want to over complicate it with a bunch off Allen heads that still get jacked up by rocks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Got the rear firewall mocked up in cardboard then 1/8” MDF. Then disaster struck before I could start cutting the firewall and dash out of aluminum. This might set the build back a little. I was always told if you’re going to be dumb you have to be tough.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Doors are on, fuel cell is in and plumbed, locking dipsticks done.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
E-Brake is hooked up and working. The Lokar cables worked out well.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Looking good! I used the Lokar cables on mine and very happy with them. A bit pricey, but well made. With my center console I no longer have an e-brake set-up, so I was thinking about getting their remote mount e-brake handle assembly and putting it on the floorboard between the drivers seat and the door opening. I would just have to run a short flex cable from where it comes up through the floor under the console to the new location.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Made some lanyards out of ratchet straps, for my fire extinguisher mounts.

Also started laying out the dash. The cardboard panel will be removable and hold 15 switches and breakers. It’s the first time I’ve cut cardboard with a straight edge and knife since taking 12 stitches to the thumb. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little apprehensive. Lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
Great build, but WTF happened to your middle finger too?

Bahaha... I usually tell people it happened feeding sharks.... or a snapping turtle.... or any number of stories I’ve come up with over the years.

20 plus years ago it got caught in the drive chain for a conveyor and ripped off. Subconsciously I must really have something against my left hand. You’d think I’d quit putting it where it doesn’t belong.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts