Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I like your locking dipstick idea.

Going to steal that one.

The trans dipstick is a Dorman from autozone for a Chevy.

The spring in the engine dipstick idea is a good idea but not mine. I got it from Tribal4krawler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
you could totally pull off being a substitute Jr High wood shop instructor!

--Sherpa

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
What would a good homeschool be without auto shop. Lol

I tried to keep the kids out of the house and as active as possible while still getting some work done on the Jeep.

I got all the electrical components mounted where they go (dash, relays, battery relocations lugs, fuse panel under the hood, etc..). I’ll wire everything up when I can concentrate and not be worried about keeping an eye on the kids at the same time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
The LEDs in the switches ended up being way to bright. I picked up some vinyl caps from McMaster Carr for $7. Then painted the tip of the LED with a paint pen before installing them. Now they are bearable at night.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Got it fired up and the steering tested. So far so good. After hearing nightmares about the “4500” steering, I was worried. It doesn’t seem to shake, but time will tell if it’s fast enough. It’s hard for me to tell sitting in the garage. With it only being 2 turns lock to lock with 42-43 degrees if steering, I can outrun it, but it’s still faster than I can turn my pick up lock to lock with 4 turns.

https://youtu.be/YA0PIbOTyS4

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Got the exhaust fabed up. Used 2 1/2” mandrel bends. I was able to keep everything flush or above the skid.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Ended up ditching the DE ram and Sweet valve. I couldn’t get a steering box that was tight enough to work well and got tired of fighting with it. I tried different torsion bars, a rebuilt z28 box with a welded servo and a brand new Borgenson 525 manual box. They both had just enough play to make it very twitchy just off center. Basically the hydraulics would kick in and and steer until the slop was gone. I ended up cutting the ram off the front and going to PSC Hydro assist with a 10”x1.75” ram and reused my 1800psi cbr pump and reservoir. Now it handles like it should.

Finally got my sway bar figured out. Packaging one in the rear just wasn’t going to work the way I wanted so I opted for a front sway bar.. Tony at TK1 racing was great to work with. i ordered some wrong parts and he worked with me to get something that would work. I wasn’t confident that I could bend his aluminum arms to fit and nobody made an arm with the length and offset I needed so I made a hybrid front a TK1 racing kit and my own arms. Ended up modifying the highsteer arms to keep 41 degrees of steering and clear the sway bar links. Took it on a short test drive and it’s feels great so far.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Finished the intake. Since 4600 class rules dictate no cutting of the tub I used the HVAC hole to relocate the air filter to in the cab.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Made an Oh Shit handle/iPad holder. I’ll be running Leadnav for navigation.

Also made some rollover catch cans out of some 1.75” tube and put a PCV valve in the top to stop flow when it’s upside down.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I made a removable rack for spare fluids, drive shafts and tools. It unbolts so I can slide the fuel cell back and install a rear seat. Also welded some locations to strap down tool bags.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I decided to use a pedi stall jack from a Toyota Tundra. It’s easy to store and light. I’ll use my impact to lift it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I’m loving the new Esab 205ic. I’m not a tig welded but after a few YouTube videos I’m sticking aluminum together. I added some sides to my dash to keep mud and debris out better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How do you like the seats?

Is that the Baja Xp? I'm looking for seats and have it narrowed to them or the original Mastercrafts.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
How do you like the seats?

Is that the Baja Xp? I'm looking for seats and have it narrowed to them or the original Mastercrafts.

The seats are the FX1 Pro. They seem like good seats for the $$. I’m 5’11” and 175. They fit me well. If you have over a 36” waist then they make a wider version.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The seats are the FX1 Pro. They seem like good seats for the $$. I’m 5’11” and 175. They fit me well. If you have over a 36” waist then they make a wider version.

Ok awesome were pretty much the same size.

Did you go with a non suspension seat to help keep yourself tight in the harness?

I was set on the Baja xps but now that you've pointed these out and they're only a couple bucks more I like the look of these better. Seems like more side bolstering. Just worried they might be harder on the back with big hits/landings.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
In a trail rig I might go suspension, but after doing some research suspension seats have been linked to broken backs in high speed desert wrecks. Your belts can loosen and they rebound. So in the wrong circumstances it’s like getting a double bounce on a trampoline. Since I’ll be racing I opted for a fixed seat.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts