Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, I just got done building a 800hp+ twin turbo corvette. While it was fun it just wasnt doing it for me.

I knew I wanted to build a jeep so atrted looking around, knew I wanted an LJ but didnt want to pay for one. So drove 33 hours in two day and picked up one from Daveys Jeeps.

It was alittle rougher that expected but will be a good starting point. I bought it knowing it needed a new, wheel, transfer case, oil pan and the front axle was bent, minor frame damage upon seeing it in person.
Left friday morning 5am and buy Sunday morning it was in the garage ready to be fixed.

During the week I picked up a stock set of tj axles

Out with the old

Back on it own weight.

Tearing the extremely blown up tcase out.

And up and driving all with in 6 days from buying it, not bad.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This projected started about a month ago, so now were basically caught up. Plan for it is 4 link rear 3 link front, 14 bolt, 05 superduty 60, coilovers (maybe ORI's)
Parts started showing up last week or two.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great start. Are you going to stretch the wheelbase also? What size tires are you going to run on those tons?
Yup, 4" in the rear and hopefully 3" in the front, should put me around 112. I would like to be around 115 but well see how much work it takes. I want to keep the tank on the frame. Plan is 40's to start, I would like to be able to use a 42 if wanted.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gf's mom owns a bar, had some left over beer from a golf tournament. Hopefully this gets me through the build. :D

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updates might be alittle slow as work is crazy busy but iv also been busy designing my own rockers, corner guards, 4 link mounts and bumpers..

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im trying to get most everything collected before I tear into so I can at least drive the dang thing while its nice out. Only thing left is wheels, tires, and shocks. Ordered 5.13 gears and torq lockers. It will be interesting to see how the new lockers work, I was hesitant but after talking to a few guys from KOH they eased my mind. $720 for front and rear lockers, if they work good you cant beat that.. Until then heres a crappy mall crawling pic.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would you be willing to share the frame, corners and/or rocker files?
Pm me and maybe we can work something out. The whole reason I designed everything myself was to start selling them. Im in the process of an LLC and Patent. I have some of the fastest laser in country which would let me produce this stuff for at least half the cost of any one currently making them.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That was a nice looking Vette but isn't black a pain in the ass to keep clean? :)

Looking at your 14B calipers, it looks like you've placed them in the "front" of the axle, which is fine with respect to stopping power etc but your bleeders are low in the system. Removing the calipers to bleed them is a pain in the ass, I wonder if your caliper brackets are welded on and if not, if you can unbolt them, change the orientation and get those calipers behind the axle/the bleeders up high??

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was a nice looking Vette but isn't black a pain in the ass to keep clean? :)

Looking at your 14B calipers, it looks like you've placed them in the "front" of the axle, which is fine with respect to stopping power etc but your bleeders are low in the system. Removing the calipers to bleed them is a pain in the ass, I wonder if your caliper brackets are welded on and if not, if you can unbolt them, change the orientation and get those calipers behind the axle/the bleeders up high??
Honestly one of the best things about selling it is not having to worry about cleaning it all the time. And having to use certain cleaning rags, wax, drying towels etc...
And yes I need to do something with the calipers, the brackets are in the factory location. I think I should be able to swap caliper sides which would put the bleeder screw on top.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for no real updates, decide it was time to buy a new trailer. No reason to build something if I cant take it places. Put in an order for a new Lamar 22' 102" wide, 5200lbs axles, brakes on both axles, integrated D rings etc.. Basically all the good stuff, so that put a damper on the jeep fund. Hopfully In the next month I can start ordering more parts. In the mean time I saw 3.73 gears in the front and got all the tires re balanced and picked up a mini spool for the rear 44. Not sure If ill actually put it in or not.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not too much hard core stuff going on yet, still trying to collect parts for winter.
New rear bumper, hilift jack mount, power tank mount, been wheeling when I can, breaking stuff and this week started to tear down the front 60.
Also picked up a new trailer last weekend, that took a hit on the jeep budget but will be a nice investment. 2019 lamar super wide, 5200lbs axles, driver over fenders, welded on d rings, all led lighting, rear flip down jacks etc...

1 - 20 of 100 Posts