Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Iv talked to quite a few people with LJ's one tons and LS and they are all around the 5200lb range.

Im really leaning towards 2.0's with resi, already have everything and easier to package vs a 2.5". Also ORI's are 3-5 weeks out from my current vendor.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Take the time to save and go 2.5s. You're going to upgrade eventually, might as well buy once, cry once.
Is a 2.5 with out a resi basically the same volume as a 2.0 with resi? Or do I still need a reservoir when going to a 2.5.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,510 Posts
Is a 2.5 with out a resi basically the same volume as a 2.0 with resi? Or do I still need a reservoir when going to a 2.5.
The 2.5’s I have worked with were all reservoir. It would be easy to calculate the volume of the shock and the reservoir however. I don’t feel like doing math right now. :homer:

This is my first time reading this thread but I have made 2.0 reservoirs work, obviously 2.5’s work. If you are building around a new shock package I would go with the larger shock only because every idiot in the world thinks you have to have a 2.5 on your jeep anymore and it could help with resale. If you’re going to keep it forever whatever. I’m going with 2.0 is on my build because it’s easier to package, and I don’t plan to sell it.

My personal opinion is a 2.0 reservoir is plenty for a stock frame TJ. Everything on the jeep will fall apart before the shocks fade. I broke a bell housing on my white Jeep pre-running.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
2.0 no res $1490.00
2.0 w/ res $1944.00
2.5 no res $1984.00
2.5 w/ res $2574.00
ORI 14" $3402.00

The only reason I asked about a 2.5 vs 2.0 was because they're basically the same price. I would rather do it right the first time but Id hate to spend $1k more and have to wait just for a shock Ill never use to its full potential.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,510 Posts
On my LJ build, I am doing 2.0’s with resi. It is a more mild build than yours. I almost went no resi, but since I am building mounts I wanted the ability to add adjustable reservoirs later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would do 2.5s now, if you plan on doing any go fast wheeling you'll probably want them later on. Had 2.0 resis up front, and 2.0 emulsions(I know now, they suck) with 6.5" up in the front and 8" up in the back. Went to KOH and was able to hot some smaller stuff around 30-35mph, but quickly ran into cavitation problems on bigger shit, though I didn't get a lot of tuning the guys I was with are pretty knowledgeable.

Came back the next year with 12" 2.5 resis in the back with the same 8" of up. Was able to hit way bigger stuff at 40-50mph and jumped it several times at about 40, was super cush and pretty dialed in. Then I had two roads back to back cross in front of me on the road I was doing 40 on, packed the shocks on the first, then hit the second, got about 2-3 feet of air and bent the front axle. If anyone saw a stockish looking blue TJ rolling by hammertown in a cloud of ATF smoke in 2019 that was me lol

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Pulled the trigger on 14" 2.5" radflo's with remote reservoir. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here, but I still have a couple weeks of work left. I think that's the last big part of the puzzle, crunch time!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Motor is in, wasn't to impressed with the Dave mounts. They don't line up very good and the motor seems to be more crocked than it should be. Not gonna worry about it till I get the trans and tcase bolted up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Not too much, with everything else going on my priorities have changed a little. I bought a new car for a daily and started building a couple new guns :D
I did get two shocks in and the front axle in for mock up.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 100 Posts