Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I am about one year into building my own go anywhere RV.

It started out life as a M1078 troop carrier, purchased from auction as a non runner parts truck.
Spent the first six months sourcing parts and sorting wiring issues.

The plan was initially to built a three point frame and put a 14' manufactured trailer on that, but I came across a M1079 box for a good price so I bought that. The box swap was a lot of heavy lifting. Kept the military captured spring four point mounting system with a few tweeks.

Registered it as an RV and have been driving it at least one day a week to work out any issues. Also to figure out what I want to change.

Replaced the headlights with some heated LED units (1000% better).
Roof of the cab started to leak at the turret seal, I am waiting until this summer to pull it off and build a gasket and some wing nuts. Because sunroof.
Installed some 16.00 (aka 53'' tires) required moving the front steps up (and a lot of other stuff), placing the first step 33'' off the ground.
Installed two more batteries, and build a holder for a total of eight, four 12v, and four 6v.
Stripped the van box and painted it with 3 coats of Kills primer, as i was not a fan of the soothing green. The van came with four florescent light fixtures the I ditched in favor of some very low profile LED units.
All of the framework for the bed, cabinets, ect. is being built out of square tubing to keep weight down and because that is what I know. It has been kind of slow going because I am lazy and I have a lot of other projects also.

I will add some photos after i find a website to host them? Recommendations?

I figure if i can get some motivation out of posting progress on here that would be sweet.
[/url]Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr[/IMG] Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr Untitled by George Leonard, on Flickr

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Random Dude
906 Posts
I think it takes 10 posts outside Chit Chat to be able to link images. :confused:

This sounds badass, and we need the iron eye-candy ASAP.

Maybe post 5 more fun facts one at a time, then please litter this thread with pics :bounce2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it takes 10 posts outside Chit Chat to be able to link images. :confused:

This sounds badass, and we need the iron eye-candy ASAP.

Maybe post 5 more fun facts one at a time, then please litter this thread with pics :bounce2:
I have 400watts of renogy panels to install. I will be using a parker air cylinder to be able to tilt them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed a 16k BTU forced air heater in what would have been the original gen-set location (ill ad photos to the comments for illustration this evening)

·
Registered
330 Posts
You are going to want to move those horns. With your window down they will suck. At least, put them on the passenger side, but forward facing is better. Of course they will scare the crap out of anyone passing you.

Love the build.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would love to park that out in front of my house for a few weeks. Great build!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts