Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Not too much been happening with this lately. Still taking it away on lots of little trips and running around town. This was never intended to be a daily but i find myself driving it most days of the week. Getting closer and closer to 500,000 miles.

Late last year i fitted an advanced scent based navigation system. All roads lead to food.

She loves coming out for drives and going camping or coming on the boat.

6 month old now and getting pretty big.

To stop her from cooking over summer i got the windows tinted in the fancy nano ceramic stuff which blocks a surprising amount of heat from coming through.

Next up was to tackle air con which i knew would be a big job due to lack of room in the engine bay. No way the stock 7m compressor was going to fit without hitting both the fans and oil piping. I looked into an electric compressor but seems they dont really have enough oomph at only about 2kw of cooling.

So i found the smallest mechanical compressor i could and set about making up a bracket for it which was no easy task. Once i finally had the pump in spot where it wasnt hitting anything i found that the belt (just) rubbed on the fan. So i had to add an idler pulley as well which worked out alright and finally everything cleared.

The old serpentine style condensor was designed for R12 gas and are pretty inefficient with R134A so i manged to squeeze in a modern parallel flow style out of a RZN149 hilux.

Next step was to make all the hoses work which was a nightmare. For the hardlines i cut & shut the fittings and had the AC shop ally solder them together. The rubber hoses are all new with new crimped on fittings and service ports. Unfortunately there was a couple of pinhole leaks so there was 3 or 4 tries at gassing it til we got everything sealed up.

All's well that ends well, i now have nice 36.5 degrees F air coming out the vents :)

Whole project took way longer than expected and cost a fortune but it's much nicer driving this thing on hot days now so well worth it.

A bit before that i also took the bar off for a fresh coat of paint and added some armor under the new radiator. I used a better primer this time and so far the paint has held up much better.

My next job will be to plate in the "windows" in the sliders. I'm super paranoid the dog will slip jumping in or out and get a leg stuck/broken in one of them so at the moment i'm lifting her everytime but she's getting too heavy!!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
You do really nice work! :smokin:

I apologize, my questions are somewhat retarded, but is that a roped in windshield with a one piece rubber gasket I see in your pics? If so, can I pm you an email address and ask you to send me some specific pictures? I’m currently doing a cab swap / complete repaint and really don't want to run the DOT legal glued in windshields we have over here...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks!
Yes the windshield is roped in with a giant rubber gasket. It was was interesting to watch the guy do it as I have only seen them glued in before.
I didn't take any pics at the time but happy to take what I can for you with it installed.
Not sure if the gaskets and rope are available to buy but I can ask around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well I got a killer corona deal on a brand new ARB yesterday so I guess it's time to go down the rabbit hole.
Will stick the ARB up front and get a truetrac for the rear to replace the shit Toyota lsd. I couldn't put up with an "open" ARB in the back with all the street driving this thing does.

Planning to regear to 5.29 while its apart. Looks like Marlins "ninja" rebranded Yukons are the go?

My question is should I bother sourcing v6 thirds and matching gears? I dont believe I have room for a HP up front.
Rig is currently 4400lb, ~300hp, 31" tyres (max legal size in oz). Let's say max tyre size 33" to be safe. Mild/medium trails only. We dont really have much rock crawling over here.

Solid pinion spacers are a given, anything else to do while I'm in there?

It's Tuesday somewhere :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Well I got a killer corona deal on a brand new ARB yesterday so I guess it's time to go down the rabbit hole.
Will stick the ARB up front and get a truetrac for the rear to replace the shit Toyota lsd. I couldn't put up with an "open" ARB in the back with all the street driving this thing does.

Planning to regear to 5.29 while its apart. Looks like Marlins "ninja" rebranded Yukons are the go?

My question is should I bother sourcing v6 thirds and matching gears? I dont believe I have room for a HP up front.
Rig is currently 4400lb, ~300hp, 31" tyres (max legal size in oz). Let's say max tyre size 33" to be safe. Mild/medium trails only. We dont really have much rock crawling over here.

Solid pinion spacers are a given, anything else to do while I'm in there?

It's Tuesday somewhere :flipoff2:
If you want the best gear possible get the G2 brand.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
5.29s are pretty deep for that little tire and that much hp. You may consider 4.88s. The bigger pinion will give you some strength

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've had a hard time choosing between 4.88s and 5.29s

My biggest gripe with this thing is that at 60mph it's doing 2200rpm and the revvy motor is off the boil. It does a lot of highway miles so going WOT for every little hill and downshifting for big ones is getting tiresome.

4.88 would put it at 2350rpm which I dont think would be enough to justify the cost/effort. 5.29s give me 2530rpm which should be nice.

I figure the 0.69 dyna 5th in the r150 gives me the option for deep axle gearing without stupid cruise rpm on the highway. But with 4.56s it's just too tall for this motor.
Great for economy though. I get nearly 20mpg out of it if my math is right

61 - 68 of 68 Posts