Pirate 4x4 banner

Load reactive or non load reactive orbital valve.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with a non load reactive orbital valve and changed to a load reactive to get more road feel. It does give more feeling and self centering but it's only negligible.
I don't know if it's worth because I think the load reactive orbital valve is inherently weaker and puts more strain on the pump. I have nothing to back this up except a broken load reactive orbital valve and pump problems.
I know heat is the main culprit for failure, but let's set that issue a side for now.

I'm thinking about going back to a non load reactive valve but I'm a little worried about the dead feel they give at high speeds.

Which kind do you use and why?

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
I started with a non load reactive orbital valve and changed to a load reactive to get more road feel. It does give more feeling and self centering but it's only negligible..
How much caster are you running?

I have not actually tried it, but if caster helps your steering return to center, which it does; one would have to draw the conclusion that running higher caster would give you better return to center and maybe better road feel. I know there are some other issues with increasing caster, like more force on your steering components but it might be a worthy experiment...

I have a non reacting valve for no good reason other than that was what I had laying around. I think a load reacting valve might save your steering components in a bad roll or crash.

-Lucas

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I loved the load reacctive above 60 mph..93 was as fast as I gps'd it. Non reactive sure is nice in the rocks though

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Mine seems to strain quite a bit when the ARB is locked, more then I think it should. I'm expecting my PSC pump to give up the ghost on a trip one of these days. I'm running twin coolers with a electric fan on one of them and the coolers still get so hot you can barely touch them.

So does the LR orbit create more heat then the NR?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i don't have anything to compare it to because i've never had a non-load reactive orbital in my rig. but for what its worth, i enjoy my load-reactive because when im really bound up, i can feel my steering wheel get significantly harder to turn, and use that as a sign to stop turning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I started with a non load reactive orbital valve and changed to a load reactive to get more road feel. It does give more feeling and self centering but it's only negligible.
I don't know if it's worth because I think the load reactive orbital valve is inherently weaker and puts more strain on the pump. I have nothing to back this up except a broken load reactive orbital valve and pump problems.
I know heat is the main culprit for failure, but let's set that issue a side for now.

I'm thinking about going back to a non load reactive valve but I'm a little worried about the dead feel they give at high speeds.

I loved the load reacctive above 60 mph..93 was as fast as I gps'd it. Non reactive sure is nice in the rocks though
What set up are you running ?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
i don't have anything to compare it to because i've never had a non-load reactive orbital in my rig. but for what its worth, i enjoy my load-reactive because when im really bound up, i can feel my steering wheel get significantly harder to turn, and use that as a sign to stop turning.
that's a damn good point. better to feel things out when really cranked up and let off a little before doing some real damage.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts

What ever you decide, will be better than rear only!:eek: But I have to say I have never heard of an Orbital "breaking".

Maybe a main pressure relief valve could fix your mog oriented problems. You know, like it hits a rock on the outer edge of the tire turning the ram into a pump and sending pressures through the roof. Maybe if that released pressure into the res? But that might cause your steering to be " quirky", so the relief would have to be set pretty high. Have you talked to Sean?

My .02 and thats not much!:)

Rick.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I've only run a load-reactive valve... and I'm seriously considering getting rid of it. Mainly because I dis-located my damn shoulder while driving like a dickhead and trying to hold the wheel. It's always pissed me off while trying to steer quickly at low speeds, or anytime I hit a big rock hard... high speeds it has always felt great.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have run a load reactive valve for about 5 years now. The only thing I don't like is the kick it can generate at mid speeds. Sounds like what others have mentioned above. Other then that it's great. Handles well at speed too.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
When I redid my hydro steering I decided to stay with a non-load reactive unit. One of the main considerations was that I was concerned that my steering geometry wasn't perfect. After, it is me doing all the work on it. :laughing:

Looking back I'm happy with the call. I like a tight (2 turns lock to lock) non-load reactive system. Then again, I hardly ever pass 45 mph.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Well, I don't know what happened to it for sure. It just stopped working. Maybe I should take it apart? Is there anything inside that I can fix?

Anyway, which kind do you use?
Internal parts availability for them is poor at best; I don't think it's worth trying to get new parts other than O-rings and similar.

You can take it apart if you like; it's not like you've got a lot to lose at this point. I would, but I'm probably not a good example--I take stuff apart for fun.

I run a non-reactive valve myself.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Well, I don't know what happened to it for sure. It just stopped working. Maybe I should take it apart? Is there anything inside that I can fix?

Anyway, which kind do you use?
Well, thanx for asking JR! I used a non reactive for 2 years on my car cause it never tried to rip my thumbs off! But for the KOH I installed a load reactive. At speed it wandered bad with the non reactive, it was like driving a backhoe on the freeway. So I went to a faster orbital load reactive with a ten inch POS ram, and long steering arms. This slowed the steering, made it somewhat responsive and very strong. It still wanders, but you can almost feel it.

As for repairs, its basically the same as your pump, but backwards?

What were you running?

Rick.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I too after putting in a load reactive valve fail to see much benefit.

I get a little feeling and some return to center at 50mph+ but otherwise it's pretty worthless. Yes I have 7 degrees of castor, doesn't help.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts