Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently discovered the Local Motors Rally Fighter (technically not 4x4, so maybe I'm using the wrong forum), and I feel like I really want one: https://localmotors.com/shop/local-motors-rally-fighter

Of course, for $100,000 I need to check one out in person, do a test drive, and find out how reliable they are etc.

I'm looking for something that would not only be a daily driver, but would function for off roading and backcountry camping. The Rally Fighter and either my Kodiak Canvas tent, or a rugged trailer camper (something like these Conquerors: UEV-440 Off Road Camper Trailer Packs Everything From Vine Glasses to Flat-Screen TVs | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building ) seems like it would be badass.

What else is out there for about the same cost, or less, that would compete with the Rally Fighter?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Big question is what type of off-roading. If just in desert probably be pretty hard to beat but at 100k I'd personally look into something like a newer tundra with a long arm kit installed or something of that caliper. If you are gonna be in rocks ifs can handle some but unless it's fully custom built won't hold up. I like dodges and just recently found a dodge website that offers pretty custom lifts for all dodges and can be upgraded to 2.5 fox remote resi shocks. The kits are high at around 5500 but by the time you buy truck 2500-60000 depending on what you want it's still whole lot cheaper. Don't get me wrong may not be as fast in desert and whoops but hell saving that much would be pretty decent compromise IMHO. Just something to look at and you can build or have built custom beds and things of that nature. Just my .02 from a guy that does nothing but mud at the present time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply.

If I end up buying a Rally Fighter, it'll be the stupidest financial decision I've made to date, but from what I've seen of it online, I love the spirit of it. There are a lot of things about it that grab me and draw me in. I've read that some people think it's fugly, but personally I love the way it looks. It's got a shit ton of horsepower, and the gas mileage isn't too bad since it's the lightest thing in its class, from what they say. Apparently you can get it supercharged with a 6 speed transmission and paddle shifters. Not sure how much more that is.

For me, the thing is the Tundra and other trucks don't speak to me like the Rally Fighter does, but for this retarded amount of money I want to see everything that's out there in the ballpark and make the best decision.

I did read someone post that the Rally Fighter looks less impressive in person than online, so hopefully this coming week I can drive to Las Vegas and check one out in person.

To be honest I'm not sure what all the environments I'll encounter are, but I live in California and I love the desert, so that's one. When I checked out truck campers at XP Camper, Mark told me that once you get a taste of off roading, you'll want to do it more and more. Except for the price, the Rally Fighter looks like a good choice for me to double as a daily driver and as an expedition vehicle.

Thanks for the tip about rocky terrain. I'll ask them how it handles that. Also, apparently in a Top Gear video they drove it into a swamp and fucked up the engine. I need to ask them if they've made some improvements there too.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I watched that Top Gear. It was bad ass. If you wanna go that route with drivetrain there are tons of shops in CA that can build you a tube buggy but idk if you can build a street able buggy in CA. Also think of part availability. Factory truck even with custom parts can be put together if broken on a trail and another part ordered. Most times custom in the truck world are actually just modified parts people tweak to fit their projects better. Also if you are just getting into off-roading look more into factory trucks possibly get tow rig and trailer and another beater to start with.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Search rally fighter on this forum. There was a guy that bought one last year. He was quite happy with it from what I remembered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think it's hard, or impossible, to build a street legal tube buggy in California, and it also wouldn't have the body style of the Rally Fighter. On the other hand it would be a hell of a lot cheaper...but you only live once.

I found the entire Top Gear video, including the scene where they killed the engine: Top Gear US - Rally Fighter on Vimeo

The Rally Fighter uses an amalgamation of parts from several different vehicles, so I think it's fairly easy to get parts for it. I know they switched to the Corvette engine at least in part due to part availability.

Wilson, thanks for the tip. I'll run a search.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi. I'm "guy that bought one last year". (October 2012, for the record) I wrote BreakAes a small novel on my thoughts so I'll keep this short here. It's an amazing machine. The front visibility is poor, and you cant fit anything more than midgets or people shaped like tetris blocks into the rear, but it is by far the best engineered vehicle I've seen. It soaks up dirt roads, whoops, and jumps like the priciest of trophy tucks Ive ever ridden in and on road, the performance still amazing. If you're on loose dirt or a 1/4mile tracks, the tires grab beautifully and it launches like we strapped a rocket to it's ass. It also pulls stupid hard from 2-5k rpms. I haven't accelerated like that off road in anything less than a trophy truck.

Maybe the most interesting thing about it (or at least, unexpected from me) is people's reactions. Online a lot of people trash it but in person, I've seen thousands of people react to it and not one was less than actual excitement. 1 in 3 people of the highway are taking pictures or videos of it while I pass them. I valeted it to go to dinner and when I came out, they hard parked it on the sidewalk and I got in it with about 20 people taking pictures of me. When you see it in person, it's a lot different and more aggressive than how it looks in pictures.

That said though, here's some pictures:

Oh, also, Jay Leno approves of my car:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I think it's hard, or impossible, to build a street legal tube buggy in California.
I have done it and it is actually very easy. Search under my user name in gen 4x4, I did a thread about how to do it back in early or mid 2007. There is also probably a link to that thread in my build thread link below but I am on my phone right bow so you will have to look for it yourself

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the link: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...uggy-street-legal-smog-exempt-califormia.html Congratulations.

I should be able to see a Rally Fighter in person soon, so I'm looking forward to that. The price is still very depressing, so I'll just have to see if I feel like it's worth it.

At least from what I've seen online, I like the body style more than the other stuff I've found, so it's the only thing I really want at the moment.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
local motors is local to AZ and ive been around them a few times and know a few of the guys that work there. They are quite the machine and i really like them. Most of the parts are off the shelf stuff so getting replacement pieces should be easy. I like the style, both inside and out. The guys beat on their shop car mercilessly and it still keeps ticking. Its more of a dog with the older motor but still runs strong.

I just dont like the price. If i could buy a roller for a decent price and finish it myself, it might be worth it. But for 100k, i'll pass.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
100K includes the build experience. it's 89K just for the car if you want to build it in your shop or you can buy it in stages if you want. Just the chassis and suspension, or everything minus the drivetrain. Check out rallyfighter.com to see what comes in what package and how much it is.

For BreakAes, this will be his first ground-up build so I recommended the build experience because he'll have a shop full of tools and a HUGE knowledge base to learn about the car and what it's capable of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts