Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 toyota that I bought wheelin. Eventually I will buy a trailer for it and tow it behind my F350 but for now I need to drive it back and forth as much as a 150 miles for some of the trips my freinds take. So for now would you guys recommend the lock-right or the spool. :confused:

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would go with spools , at least in the rear

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
It all depends on what you want.

I have a spool (welded rear) in my daily driver Samurai and love it. But everyone else that drives it or rides in it hates it. The steering feels a little sloppy because the spool wants to push you straight forward. The longer wheelbase of your toyota will help you out in that department.

I also have a welded rear in the back of my '85 Toyota short wheel base with 39s. I dont daily drive it, but it drives just fine.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Spool it!:D Just wears tires quicker. Then you get t buy bigger ones. :flipoff2: I love mine aside from tire wear. But like I said now I get 38's quicker than expected.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
If it isn't a daily driver, then go ahead and spool it.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Spool it, the trash lock will drive you nuts with locking and unlocking :D :D :D .

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
if you have to ask.....................probally harder than ya wanna do yourself. seriously. probally the single hardest mod for a DIYer

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
They are pretty easy to install, just remove the third, bring it over to your nearest welder friend, along with a case of his favorite, then put the third back in.

My detroit locker in the X-cab drove me nuts witht he locking/ unlocking. I sold it in and will use the $$ for gears and just weld the diff locked.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
SamuraiChris said:
They are pretty easy to install, just remove the third, bring it over to your nearest welder friend, along with a case of his favorite, then put the third back in.
tru dat

aside from a welding a stock unit that is alredy set up in your third they take some skill and special tools.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a quote of $200 to install one. That seems a little high. I was a welder for seven years so welding the gears myself is no problem. If later I decied that I don't like it then what, how much is a new third member?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
all you need is the carrier and can get one of them for next to nothing.

If you are taking the third to them out of the truck that does seem rather high.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I paid $280 for a spool installed into my chunk. The spool was $200, lockwashers were $5 and the rest was labor and tax.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Todd,

Where did you get one installed for 280?
All Pro wants 209 for the spool and 200 to install it!

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Spool.

LOCKRIGHTS ARE CRAP

I had both of my diffs setup by a buddy who works for the local 4wheelparts. I know you all dislike most 4WheelParts staff, but how many of them have a Zuk on 42s and a pair of 8-lug axles? ;)

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
NULL said:
Todd,

Where did you get one installed for 280?
All Pro wants 209 for the spool and 200 to install it!
Pro Gear

(858) 571-1158

7948 Ronson Rd
San Diego, CA 92111

·
Registered
353 Posts
TNToy said:
Spool.

LOCKRIGHTS ARE CRAP

I had both of my diffs setup by a buddy who works for the local 4wheelparts. I know you all dislike most 4WheelParts staff, but how many of them have a Zuk on 42s and a pair of 8-lug axles? ;)
I don't really see the problem with LRs. I have one my tacoma and it doesn't bug me once you get use to it. I am debating between one or a spool for the rear of my 85. The LRs will help a little on tire wear too plus they are real easy to install. Besides the noise and driveline slop they really aren't that bad.

Are the LRs prone to breaking.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
the 'now' trend is to weld the rear and front diff's. Put the $$ in gears.--- We've had only 1 LR break- (2 Detroits)(2 ARB)
If you wanna be fancy, LR the rear, weld the front and be done with it !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts