Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a buddy and i were playing in the mud last night in my 79cj5 and we were going and heard a pop and i could tell i didnt have 4wd anymore. so i drive out of the mud in 2 and get out figuring i had grenaded a u joint. look under the jeep and the driveline was all still there in what looked like working order, u joints intact, driveshaft and everything where it should be. so we go ahead and unlock the hubs and get back in and guess that my buddy just knocked the t case shifter into 2 hi when we were bouncing around thru the ruts. drive home and look again under the lights and it all still looks fine. so i think o well it must be fine since theres no weird noises or anything at all and that my buddy just hit the shift on accident. i drive 5 miles to my girlfriends house and back then again this morn before school. i noticed when i got out of the jeep at school that the drivers side locking hub looks funny. i have chrome centers that go around them and that was the only thing keeping it with the jeep! u can wiggle them around and in and out about 2 inches. i think i might have sheared the bolts off maybe cause where it bolts on u can wiggle the hub to where u can see inside the wheel center and see there were no bolts. i wont realy know for sure until i get home and pull the wheel off and look at it tho. has anyone ever heard of this happening? and does anyone know what size and thread the bolts are that hold the locking hub on? could i have possibly hurt something driving it 15 or so miles that i did like it is? by the way my jeep is a 79 cj5 with a 2.5 rancho and 1 inch body lift, 35" baja claw radials, 258, t18, d300, and stock amc 20 and dana 30.

kolby

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
your first problem is the cheezy chrome centers, if you didnt have them on you would have noticed the bolts for the hub had became loose and you would have tighteneed them :rolleyes:
this is actualy a very common thing that people do.
also those axles are under a LOT of stress with those tires, you might want to concider upgrading.

but your question: use a "easy out" or bolt exrtactor tto remove the old ones. they should come out easy . take one to a hardware store and get some grade 8 replacements. i forget the size they are but it is quite common. you may have to replace the hub but it might be fine as it was just there for the ride once the bolts sheared:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are lucky , all the bolts came loose and the hub popped of.
Wetter that is lucky , I don't know. You might need a new hub.
I don't see the bolts getting sheered off .The hub internals components would bust before that happened.
The bolts are 3/8-16 .
Clean out the holes in the rotor hub , use Locktite and lock washers when you reinstall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just went thru the the same situation. Two bolts busted off my 82 CJ hub. When I went to easy out the broken bolts, I was in a hurry and did not drill into the broken bolts deep enough, and broke the easy out(blue point) off on the hub. I had to buy a hub from J&W auto wreckers to fix it. Put warn axles, bearings etc..to make it worth my troubles. Drill deep when using the easy out and take your time. I first used a drill bit the size of the bolt hole to give me a nice surface to start the proper size drill bit. Take your time and avoid all the extra work. Good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The cheesy stock hubs in those axles are known to grenade. The hub body may be in pieces. Do yourself a favor and get some Warn hubs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts