Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an 88 runner. In the future I am going to slam a straight axle under it and a crawler kit. However, for the time being it is my commuter car. I have noticed that the front bearings need to be tightened a little bit, but I cant get the locking hubs off. Those little tapered cones are rusted in. (the car was from san fransisco) Any ideas on how to get the off without destroying the hubs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
<FONT COLOR="Red"> Soak 'em with PB Blaster and then use a big brass punch & BFH and smack the shit out it on the end of the stud. It will take a few whacks, and watch out for those cones to go flying off somewhere. Some people like to partially thread the nut back on but I prefer the force to be exerted on the end of the stud instead of the threads, so screw in far enough to expose the stud end. When you put them back on, be sure to use som anti-sleaze. </FONT c>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,996 Posts
<font color="yellow">
Do what the man said (Even if he did steal my 'posting in color' idea <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> ). This is actually a very common problem - "They always do that" is actually true, for once.

Don't be afraid to beat on the studs, you ain't gonna hurt them. Oh - have you checked for worn shaft pinion reducers? <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"></font>

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: MasterYota ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Originally posted by MasterYota:
<STRONG><font color="yellow">
(Even if he did steal my 'posting in color' idea <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> </STRONG>
<FONT COLOR="Red"> Heh heh... not 2 pop yer bubble there Master, but I was posting in color before you were even on this BBS.. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> </FONT c>
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,738 Posts
Originally posted by Slick:
<STRONG><FONT COLOR="Red"> Heh heh... not 2 pop yer bubble there Master, but I was posting in color before you were even on this BBS.. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> </FONT c></STRONG>
More then likely even before he was a glean in his Daddy’s eye.

Oh went I meant to say was do what Slick said and they will come off. Do not use WD-40!!!

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Mr. Safety aka OOPS ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
its an awesome powerful antiseaze thing.
i thought it was crap until i bought it and used it. wd-40 is basically elephant piss in a blue can. works to get water of electical stuff. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Originally posted by steveh:
<STRONG>2 questions:

1) What's PB Blaster?
2) Why not WD-40?</STRONG>

<FONT COLOR="Red"> 1) PB Blaster is like "liquid wrench" on steroids... it "disolves" rust and scale on threads. The stuff works on rusted u-bolts & exhaust flange nuts better than all the other products I've tried. I also spray it between my leaf springs to keep them quiet and more flexy. It sprays out in a stream like wasp & hornet killer, so it really makes it easy to shoot on both side of the leafs from a distance.

2) WD-40 works great as a cleaner and light lubricant but it completely evaporates away giving no lasting protection. It works well for drying out wet distributors. I mostly use WD for cleaning my harley tranny when it gets all grimey the tube lets you blow shit out of all the crannies and it evaporates clean.

3) Anti-sieze is like "metalic grease" that won't let pieces rust or electrolsys together. It's very water resistant and works great for preventing bolt threads from siezing when torqued in aluminum threads.
***************

Hey OOP's, we gotta quit giving away so many clues as to our old age.. <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0">

</FONT c>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,366 Posts
Originally posted by Slick:
<STRONG>
<FONT COLOR="Red"> 1) PB Blaster is like "liquid wrench" on steroids... it "disolves" rust and scale on threads. The stuff works on rusted u-bolts & exhaust flange nuts better than all the other products I've tried. I also spray it between my leaf springs to keep them quiet and more flexy. It sprays out in a stream like wasp & hornet killer, so it really makes it easy to shoot on both side of the leafs from a distance.

2) WD-40 works great as a cleaner and light lubricant but it completely evaporates away giving no lasting protection. It works well for drying out wet distributors. I mostly use WD for cleaning my harley tranny when it gets all grimey the tube lets you blow shit out of all the crannies and it evaporates clean.

3) Anti-sieze is like "metalic grease" that won't let pieces rust or electrolsys together. It's very water resistant and works great for preventing bolt threads from siezing when torqued in aluminum threads.
***************

Hey OOP's, we gotta quit giving away so many clues as to our old age.. <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0">

</FONT c></STRONG>
Hey it's ok when the guy yur giving the clues to is old too!

So where do ya get PB Blaster from?

BTW, I was wit ya on the WD-40, just wanted to know what others thought, and been using Anti-sieze for longer than I can remember.

Gotta get some of that PB Blaster, sounds like a must have!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Originally posted by steveh:
<STRONG>
So where do ya get PB Blaster from?

Gotta get some of that PB Blaster, sounds like a must have!</STRONG>
<FONT COLOR="Red"> I pick it up at the Truxel Rd Walmart in Sac.... but they don't always have it, so I always keep a couple extra cans on hand. RAM Auto in West Sac also has it. Here's the stuff
and what it looks like..bizarre eh?
<IMG width=150 height=300 SRC="http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/PBCatalyst.gif">
</FONT c>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,996 Posts
Originally posted by steveh:
<STRONG>Damn, looks like Infomercial stuff.

Can I expect weight loss too? <IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0">

Thanks Slick!</STRONG>
<font color="yellow">
It actually looks like a can of any automotive product from the 50s. And it isn't infomercial stuff...

It's kinda like Rain-X. You hear people talk about it and assume it's another 'infomercial' product that couldn't possibly work as well as they say it does. Then you try it and wonder how you ever lived without it...</font>
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,738 Posts
Originally posted by Slick:
<STRONG><FONT COLOR="Red"> I pick it up at the Truxel Rd Walmart in Sac.... but they don't always have it, so I always keep a couple extra cans on hand. RAM Auto in West Sac also has it. Here's the stuff
and what it looks like..bizarre eh?
<IMG width=150 height=300 SRC="http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/PBCatalyst.gif">
</FONT c></STRONG>
I have bought it at the Kargen in Roseville
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top