Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lockright in my rearend (chrysler 9.25) won't stay locked. I have put the thickest thrust washers i can get in there with still being able to put the c-clips on, and it is still too loose. Any suggestions on how to make it work right excluding buying a real locker would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
How many miles are on it? Did you purchase the locker new or used? Is there a possibility that you inherited someone else's junk? (I know this by experience - mine did the same thing and it was simply worn out!)

What condition are the little springs and pegs that hold it together? If the pegs are broken, then the springs won't put enough force on the side gears.

What condition are the side gears (the parts that drive the locker)? Are they rounded off?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lockright is new, everything is still in good shape cause i took it out after a few miles since i couldn't even drive my truck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had the same problem in my c8.25. I intially installed it and it worked fine. After a year I sheared some of the pins and cracked the little windows. I warrantied it and they sent me a new one. I couldn't get the new one to work for anything. I installed it about 5 times thinking that I might have done something wrong....but no luck. It would bang and pop while going down the street straight.

I even checked all the tolerances according to their specifications and had many phone conversations with their tech guy.

So, I finally gave up and bought a Ford 9" and a spool. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The only thing that I could imagine is that somehow your carrier is stretched or something and it just isn't meshing together right. Those things are generally pretty positive when they lock up = they either do or they don't - and if they don't there are bad parts somewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have one in my frontend and it has worked flawlessly, so i figured this one would too. Would maybe if i could get some stiffer/longer springs they would put enough force on the gears to lock them up, i dunno. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
128 Posts
talldodge86 said:
My lockright in my rearend (chrysler 9.25) won't stay locked. I have put the thickest thrust washers i can get in there with still being able to put the c-clips on, and it is still too loose. Any suggestions on how to make it work right excluding buying a real locker would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bratch-

What does it matter? It's not like you wheel anyway! :flipoff2:

J/k D.B, how is Gj treating you? You better have that pile working by Christmas break, so we can hit up Bangs Canyon, and 21 rd.

P.S. - If y'all see a red X, its yahoo's fault.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
Who did the install?

Did they check the carrier and gears that were in it before? The diff has to be in pretty good shape for the lockright to work, and if you didn't check the specs before the disassembly, then you'll not know what condition things were in there.

I'd bet you got a messed up carrier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts