Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 3rd member with a lock right installed. Only catch is that he didn't use lock tite on any of the bolts. He did torque everything down to specs. Not using lock tite on the ring gear and case is what ruined my last ring and pinion. He's selling due to moving on up to Toyota axles. (I'm actually going to buy the whole front and rear axles.) Just wondering how many of you have done the locker without lock tite and if you have ever had any problems (how long)? If I buy it should I lock tite it or just leave it? Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
locktite

definitely use locktite. if you don't the torque on the third will loosen everything up and cause it to eat up your locker. if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right! nice to see a fellow coloradoan.
later
Jon :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
377 Posts
hell we ran them for over a year without locktite, and never messed one up, just broke lots of axles.

how much does he want for it

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I have assembled several third members without lock-tite. However, it is preferred and I have seen one that lost a ring gear bolt and chewed everything up.
If that guy has been running them a while, check the bolts the best you can. If they aren’t loose yet, they aren’t going to be.

If I were buying them, I would probably go through them before an install anyway.
At least pull the third member and check the bolts the best I could.

The last two I did, I used lock-tite and an electric impact wrench. I checked a couple bolts with the torque wrench but didn’t torque them all since the few I checked exceeded the spec (I think 70-lbs).

I have never had a rear end failure, or lost bolt.
I even put a “wal-mart” bolt in on ring gear on a ford 9-inch one time, but did use lock-tite. It’s still running around today (3-4 years later)

oh BTW Welcome Newbie :flipoff2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He wants to trade a 15 gallon polished powertank for a complete front and rear axle (locker in the rear). Is it feasible to locktite bolts without taking out the carrier? Looks like there might be enough room for a box wrench but not a torque wrench. I'm just trying to save some time so I can get back to wheeling.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Douglas said:
He wants to trade a 15 gallon polished powertank for a complete front and rear axle (locker in the rear). Is it feasible to locktite bolts without taking out the carrier? Looks like there might be enough room for a box wrench but not a torque wrench. I'm just trying to save some time so I can get back to wheeling.

It takes about 10 minutes to remove the carrier from the third member, including marking the position of the adjusters, and about 15 minutes to put it back together again. Is your schedule that tight that you can´t spare a 1/2 hour to do it right??

That being said, I´d just check that all of the bolts are tight. As said previously, if they´re not loose now after running for a while, they´re not gonna loosen up in the future.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I agree...pull it apart, inpect everything, lock tight the bolts and then your sure...its not a big deal, these caries are great to work on.

While you have it apart inspect the wheel bearings, if they feel loose at all replace them they have a habit of :nuke: when they get a bit of free play

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wheel bearings are fine but the axle shaft protector (plastic thing behind the oil seal) is busted and I'm trying to figure out how to get the oil seal out to replace it. I'm going to replace the oil seals too.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Douglas said:
Wheel bearings are fine but the axle shaft protector (plastic thing behind the oil seal) is busted and I'm trying to figure out how to get the oil seal out to replace it. I'm going to replace the oil seals too.
Just fawkin pry out the seals :flipoff2: That axle shaft protector is actually to protect your seal when you slide your axle in. Little piece of plastic aint gonna protect that axle and i actually remove them so i can swab the axle housing with a rag and a broomstick.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just put the damn thing in and run it, your going to break the LockRite before those fawkin bolts work loose!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
945 Posts
keep your powertank and get some toy/dana's. I went though all the BS to setup suzuki axles, now i'm kicking myself in the ass for it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a Samurai I bought off of a buddy that used to get wheeled all the time and now is my daily driver. It has lockrites in both front and rear. It was put together without locktite, was wheeled hard for 2 years and has been street driven daily for the past 3 years and I haven't lost a ring gear yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts