Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am designing brackets for Rub ex long arms for my explorer SAS.

do the brackets on the axle and the frame need to be in line or offset? It looks like on an xj the bracket on the axle is right below the coils which not directly under the frame but offset by 2.5ish inches.

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
It doesn't matter if the frame mounts aren't perfectly lined up with the axle mounts. To get good flex without binding, you should be using something like a Currie Johnny Joint at the frame end anyway, so if the LCA's are a few inches offset, the JJ will just compensate for that.

If you're going to use a rubber bushing on one end and something like a JJ at the other end, the end with the rubber bushing should be in line w/ the control arm. In other words, if the control arm mount on the axle angles towards the middle of the vehicle a bit, either you need the rubber bushing at the axle side and the control arm should follow the same angle, or you need the JJ at the axle side and then the control arm can go back on whatever angle you choose. If none of it lines up well, then i'd just use a JJ at both ends and the angles/offset won't make one bit of difference then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
jeffseal said:
I was planning on getting the Rub Exp long arms i think they are jj and heim????
They are a JJ (RE superflex joint - basically the same, except not pressed together) and factory like rubber bushing on the other.

-Bart

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
My frame mounts are probably about 4-6" inboard compared to the axle mounts. Buy the beefy LCA axle mounts from RE and radius the inside of it so the rubber bushing is inline with the CA (like the above poster mentioned).

You will also want to LCA's to be somewhat below the centerline of the axle. This will take a lot of pressure off the uppers in controlling axle wrap. I would say the LCA's should be about 1" below the centerline of the axle.

SeanP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts