Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2.5" lift right now. My rear a-arm is fucked up and rather than fix it, I'd like to upgrade. I was thinking about making a plate that mounts where the ball joint goes (this is a WJ) and using that as the basis for a 4 link long-arm type setup. I would buy the parts and fab the arms myself (to save some dough and allow me to choose where they'll mount)

Obviously I'd be replacing the lower arms with it..

Does anyone see any issues with this? Seems like a good idea to me, but what do I know...

No one seems to think it's worth it to have long arms on a shorter lift...since I can't seem to find any that are made for anything less than 4" lifts.... but to me, it would make sense to have more articulation even at a lower lift height..

You guys are the experts...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much my thought process. As long as the lengths are correct and I keep my angles in check, I can't see how it wouldn't be a great upgrade..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I wouldn't do "long" arms, but arms that were several inches longer to be able to flatten out the angle would be best. However, I wouldn't do just the lowers, your geometry would be all fucked up. Believe me, I've ran the old Terflex system that did just that. Ended up ripping the stock upper frame mounts off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't do "long" arms, but arms that were several inches longer to be able to flatten out the angle would be best. However, I wouldn't do just the lowers, your geometry would be all fucked up. Believe me, I've ran the old Terflex system that did just that. Ended up ripping the stock upper frame mounts off.
What I'm thinking is lengthen the lower arms, and then use a purpose built plate with a V angle on the top of the diff where the ball joint is now - have a triangular shape on top with joints that will flex/droop (Maybe Johnny Joints on one end and Heim Joints on the other) with the axle..

I can't explain it but I can see it in my head..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing. I have the same lift as you and my a-arm is starting to go as well. Was thinking about the IRO adjustable a-arm, but have read a lot of people saying they can barely make it short enough for 4" of lift. Been trying to find a new solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts