Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired another rifle the other day, an M1A Scout.

I sold my last set up a while back with a leupold scout scope on it...

I was checking out a Vortex today at Sportsman's warehouse. Seemed decent for the money. Apparently the warranty is unreal. Full replacement, even if you bust it...

This one: Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm Scout Rifle Scope - 666493, Rifle Scopes and Accessories at Sportsman's Guide

Anyone have experience w it?

Or anybody have a recommend on what they use? I will research it!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I just acquired another rifle the other day, an M1A Scout.

I sold my last set up a while back with a leupold scout scope on it...

I was checking out a Vortex today at Sportsman's warehouse. Seemed decent for the money. Apparently the warranty is unreal. Full replacement, even if you bust it...

This one: Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm Scout Rifle Scope - 666493, Rifle Scopes and Accessories at Sportsman's Guide

Anyone have experience w it?

Or anybody have a recommend on what they use? I will research it!

What are your expectations for the scout as far as distance and accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your expectations for the scout as far as distance and accuracy?

I'm realistic... Probably 100 yards to 300 yards max. 300 would be stretching it imo with a 2-7X

The gun is more accurate than I am. I am capable of 1" groups with
many of my rifles. This would be a tad different... 2" at 100 would be fine.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'd try it for that price, seems like a great deal. My Burris was quite a bit more.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Been looking for a similar setup for my M1A. What rings would are you planning on using?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd try it for that price, seems like a great deal. My Burris was quite a bit more.
I have an older Burris on another scout rifle.... I thought about swapping it. It's fixed at 2.5X though...

Kinda like the extra magnification of the Vortex. My eyes aren't what they use to be at 45... lol

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I asked because most factory unshimmed M1A variant rifles don't do better than 2-3 MOA out of the box, loaded and above are usually tighter but by how much. I have been a M1A guy for the last 15 years and have found out to 300 I prefer irons with an upgraded national match hooded rear sight. As for glass I would find out how tight your rifle shoots and then buy accordingly.

2-7 should be fine. I have a fixed 4x on a 30-06 and will shoot 300 all day long with it. I would say the most important factor is clarity of glass over magnification.

If your M1A has the front rail and your planning on using that then look in to a red dot sight. They offer great eye relief and the cheekweld on a M1A is something many struggle with when mounting glass on them. I have always purchased sadlak or arms 18 mounts in the past and now will only buy sadlak.

Hope this doesn't confuse you more.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked because most factory unshimmed M1A variant rifles don't do better than 2-3 MOA out of the box, loaded and above are usually tighter but by how much. I have been a M1A guy for the last 15 years and have found out to 300 I prefer irons with an upgraded national match hooded rear sight. As for glass I would find out how tight your rifle shoots and then buy accordingly.

2-7 should be fine. I have a fixed 4x on a 30-06 and will shoot 300 all day long with it. I would say the most important factor is clarity of glass over magnification.

If your M1A has the front rail and your planning on using that then look in to a red dot sight. They offer great eye relief and the cheekweld on a M1A is something many struggle with when mounting glass on them. I have always purchased sadlak or arms 18 mounts in the past and now will only buy sadlak.

Hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Not at all confused! Appreciate the input. I have an eotech laying around, but want to put glass on the M1A because I will most likely hunt with it at some point. I already have a 5 rnd box mag, and it may be handy for an elk hunt in the right conditions.

I have had the same rifle before, and was really happy with the configuration with the scope. Super handy and a real multitasker. The leupold scope I had on it was a scout version also... was appealing to see a variable 2-7X for my slightly older eyes though!

The Burris looks damn nice too... It's more than twice the cost, but may be worth it for the better low light/ anti fog characteristics.

Decisions decisions.... :laughing:

I know it may only get 2" at a 100 yds. I am fine with that... It would definitely serve it's purpose!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm in the market for a scout optic on my M1A Socom II as well.

Looked at that Vortex as well as the Leupold offerings that are similar. My dad has this one on his Ruger Gunsite Scout (https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-1-5-4x28mm-ier-scout-scope/). I've shot his rifle and it's a damn nice optic.

I'm kind of leaning towards this one (https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-scout-ier-2-5x28mm/) because it's the lightest of both the Leupold's and the Vortex. Really want to limit the amount of weight I've got hanging on the gun that far forward.

That all being said...I've hit 12"x12" plates at +/-500 yards with my M1A's iron sites. I was impressed. I love my M1A.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had one of my rifles get knocked off of a bench and it landed on the Vortex PST and drove the elevation turret down in the tube a little bit. I filled out the form and sent them the scope, and by the end of the week I had a brand new one in my hand. I had another Vortex replaced because a gun shop over tightened the rings and they said the tube was too damaged to fix. The Vortex warranty is no BS, they replace or repair no questions asked.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a Crossfire II that came on a Mossberg Patriot I bought last fall. It's a 30-06 and has a decent recoil. I have about 40 rounds through it and the scope seems to be holding zero just fine. I also found that the scope worked very well in low light conditions.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
My Burris is 2-7 power and I like it. It's on low most of the time but having the extra power is nice.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
I don't have any scout style scopes but my last 3 scopes have been from Vortex. I've got a Crossfire II and a couple Diamondback HPs, bought my dad a Diamondback for Christmas year before last too.

I've used Leupold's and Nikon's mid-range stuff for years, but I've recently become a big Vortex fanboy, bang for buck is outstanding, and the warranty as others have already pointed out is stellar.

Diamondback line is a little better than the Crossfire, and the HP a little better than the Diamondback. I personally think the Diamondback HP is a great, maybe the best, value for the money. My DB HPs have better glass than any of my Nikons, and are on par or better than my Leupold. Not to mention their side focus, it has spoiled me, I must have side focus on all of my scopes now.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have that exact scope on my Steyr. Only run about 70 rounds through it so far, but I like it a lot, and the price was right. I did have to go with medium height rings because the adjuster is kind of big, but otherwise it's been exactly what I expect for a 2-7. Eye relief is good, have it mounted just ahead of the bolt and it's quick to acquire, comfortable for two eye shooting.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
The last practical (ie;tactical) rifle class I took, dude that shot near me ran a lever 30-30 with the Burris scout scope and he was able to get his Distinguished Graduate designation (2 out of 32 in the class), when the rest of us were running AR's, M1's or AK's. Dude was definitely a high-speed/low-drag MF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts