Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Mel made me concede that I needed to come here to ask questions about my upcoming trip to Israel. Very specifically my 16 hour layover in Italy.

So here's the deal: on my way home from Italy I have the option of a 16 hour layover. I think I land around 5 or 6 in the evening and I leave again at 9 in the morning or something like that.

What can I do in that time frame? Is it safe for me to be out and about by myself in Rome? Is it worth it to do it or should I just take the shortest ride home from Israel possible? I'm pretty adventurous, so I don't have any problems taking public trains using my GPS to find things. If it's not worth it I won't book that flight.

I appreciate any knowledge that anyone has on this subject. Thanks

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Flying into Fumicino (cant remember how it's spelled) I assume. Rome is 30ish min away from the airport. The little town where the airport is close to shuts fuckin down about dark.

You can get a taxi into Rome pretty easy though.

·
Super Moderator
63,757 Posts
Flying into Fumicino (cant remember how it's spelled) I assume. Rome is 30ish min away from the airport. The little town where the airport is close to shuts fuckin down about dark.

You can get a taxi into Rome pretty easy though.
Is Rome a late night city and would she be safe wandering around at night alone? :roxy:

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I was just there 3 weeks ago. 16 hours, if you can sleep on planes and you're not completely fucking tired by that point, is more than enough to see some of the sights. It is a 20-30 minute drive, but to see anything quickly, you're going to want to pay for a night tour. We didn't do any of those in favor of sleep, but in your case I would have. A lot of things just close down before you'll be able to get to them.

Our first vehicle ride in Italy was a shuttle from the airport to our apartment which was right up the street from the Coliseum. Our driver was fucking NUTS. Like, driving in border town Mexico nuts, but 30 mph faster. Dude got us to our destination and probably cut off 25 other cars, jumped curbs, cut through lines of people crossing the street, and made my head hit the ceiling in the van at least once. We were just cracking up the entire time. :laughing: Uber is going to be Uber Black and is a little more expensive than in the U.S., but all of ours ended up being cheaper than the quoted price. :smokin:

City wasn't bad, but you might be put off at first thinking it's a hell hole. It's really not. Graffiti is FUCKING EVERYWHERE. 2000 year old structure? Let's fucking spray paint it! :mr-t: Not saying there's no thugs, but we didn't have a problem drinking till 2 AM on the street with an older Scottish couple our last night there. I don't think you'll have a problem around the touristy spots. Pick pockets are a thing but we didn't encounter any. They like to sneak into tours and play tourist because there's a lot of people close together, which is easy pickin'. I just paid attention to who was with us and kept money and cards in my front pocket.

Oh yeah, there's some serious distrust of credit cards in Italy. You'll want to bring cash; it'll save a lot of time. It seemed like 75% of the places I went to wouldn't take anything, even Visa or Mastercard. A few do, but only use it for high dollar purchases. Cash is king.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
Kristen wondered around Rome half drunk by herself at night. I don’t recommend it, but it’s possible.
Yep. I wouldn't advocate it anywhere really since women get raped and murdered even in small town USA, but as long as you stay out of the super poor districts it's probably safe. Needless to say, we didn't have anything to see near those.

·
Registered
673 Posts
From evening to next morning, the main tourist items are closed. Was there three weeks ago on holiday. From a guy standpoint' seems safe enough to wander, but just not much to see. I did not check on any club scene stuff,so can't say there. We stayed about a 10 minute walk from the Vatican.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think she bought her ticket yet. Now she is considering a layover in Vienna. The place, not the sausage. :roxy:
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I decided that it wasn't worth it to do a long layover. I was pressed on time to book my flight, since I am leaving in 10 days. And I just fricken got home from D.C., so I just booked a flight with a 2.5 hour layover in Munich (because I heard that Frankfurt is a shitshow).

SO...instead of my exciting 16 hour adventure that I had built up in my head, I am going to have to settle for a beer in the Munich airport at 10 am. :beer::beer: And THAT will be my adventure. Besides trying to fit in a little bit of sightseeing in Israel between work.

This was a definite lost boner.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I’ll just add Israel is cool, book a hotel on the beach if you can. Lots of good places to eat along the waterfront. I couldn’t make it into Jerusalem when I went, still bummed I missed that opportunity.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll just add Israel is cool, book a hotel on the beach if you can. Lots of good places to eat along the waterfront. I couldn’t make it into Jerusalem when I went, still bummed I missed that opportunity.
I have to stay where my co-worker is staying, he's driving, I'm riding. We work Sun-Thur. Fri-Sat we do whatever, I have some former co-workers there that I want to hook up with. Spend one day in Tel Aviv and one day in Jerusalem. That's about all I have going on...besides all of the nightly dinner invites.

·
Super Moderator
63,757 Posts
I have to stay where my co-worker is staying, he's driving, I'm riding. We work Sun-Thur. Fri-Sat we do whatever, I have some former co-workers there that I want to hook up with. Spend one day in Tel Aviv and one day in Jerusalem. That's about all I have going on...besides all of the nightly dinner invites.
Please don't die
ok thanks :roxy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts