Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to order an SRAM rear derailluer and was wondering what the differences b/w mid and long body are(besides the length). Is one better then the other? Any info would be great.

Thanks Jami

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I switched from the long to mid derailleur only because, I broke 2 long ones on rocks one summer. Once I got the mid, it hasn't broke.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me, I definitely do not need to be breaking anything. Also they only have the mid in stock. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Run a mid cage but not for clearance issues. There are differnt length cages to compensate for chain wrap. Chain wrap=(big cog-small cog) + (big ring-small ring). Most derailleurs have a chain wrap number given to them. Stay with in that number unless you are really careful and lever cross chain. I use a mid cage because it keeps the chain tighter than a long cage therefore giving me more accurate shifts. I also shorten my chain by 1 link and never cross chain. This combo will keep you shifting through anything, mud, dirt, snow.

·
Registered
300 Posts
4x4mike said:
Run a mid cage but not for clearance issues. There are differnt length cages to compensate for chain wrap. Chain wrap=(big cog-small cog) + (big ring-small ring). Most derailleurs have a chain wrap number given to them. Stay with in that number unless you are really careful and lever cross chain. I use a mid cage because it keeps the chain tighter than a long cage therefore giving me more accurate shifts. I also shorten my chain by 1 link and never cross chain. This combo will keep you shifting through anything, mud, dirt, snow.

Also keeps the drive train quiet, less chain slap so you can enjoy more mother nature although you might have to get a bell on the handlebar to warn the oncoming traffic now that ur so stealth :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.
Makes me feel better about ordering the medium cage. I rarely use my big cog up front and am even contemplating removing it for a bash guard.

I definitely have plenty of chain slap now, but I do not think I will miss it.

Thanks again Jami

1 - 7 of 7 Posts