Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure its been done before, but the 2wd Geo Tracker rear shaft is really long and the tubing is the same as the front Toyota pickup shaft. I already had a CV in the rear from the front, and I really wanted to get rid of the clanky clank of the square shaft in the front. I cycled the suspension with a fork truck and I only had about 4" of slip from front to back so the stock slip yolk will work for me. Anyway I just parted the stocker out in the lathe and cut the new section out of the Geo shaft. The rest of the process I got crappy cell phone pics of.

Total cost $30. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
How long are the splines and what year/s of Geo's would we need to look for? :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Whats the tube thickness?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the tube thickness?

Not exactly sure, it was the same as the stock Toyota front shaft. Not super think but the tube section in mine is only 17.125" long and thats with duals and the front moved forward several inches. The main thing was that it was a press fit, and cheap. That tubing is rather pricey.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I just measured it to make sure. I had 1" in and 3" out.
Thats fine and dandy--as soon as you load that front--and it walks forward--I will put $$$ its doing to pop apart

I have never seen it happen a dozen times :laughing:

I had one front shaft I did for a guy with waggys up front and used a 8" slip--that fawker if you farted it would have popped apart but never did--anything shorter is going POP....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts