Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well now that im looking for a new tow rig im really looking at diesel excursions but my toyhauler is gooseneck.i could change it over to bumper pull but im not sure how it would ride.any input?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
With a nice rig like an Ex, you would be just fine up to 12k or so and 30'.

Provided you have a class 5 hitch with a WD setup, and a good brake controller.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think even with a weight distribution hitch you're going to be really disappointed in how it pulls after being spoiled with a gooseneck.

How big is current trailer length/weight and what are you hauling in/on it?? Also how far back are the axles in relation to the length of the body??

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ive never hauled it with a load.just recently bought it from nightcrawlers.the axles are moved back to put more weight on the pin.

it will be hauling a 5k rig on it

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have an excursion...you don't want to make that into a bumper pull and tow it what an X, trust me! i love mine, but not very happy with it towing. it only has a class III hitch so you must have a WD hitch and after having a goosneck, you will be let down with a bumper pull setup.

just my .02...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok this is easier now that I know what trailer we're talking about. I was looking at it on Craigslist when he had it for sale as I don't live too far away from Nightcrawlers.

Since he's got the axles slid back to put more weight on the gooseneck ball you're definately not going to want that with your Excursion. On his dually the ball weight was disbursed over the entire truck as the ball rides in front of the rear axle, on your Excursion everything is going to be at the absolute ass end of the truck and make it not handle the greatest even with a weight distribution hitch.

If you're still shopping for tow rigs, my suggestion would be forget the excursions and just get a crew cab pickup if you need the seat capacity. The trailer is set up perfect the way it is for hauling. Plus if you get a truck instead of the SUV, you can haul all kinds of crap in the back that you'd cringe about putting in the back of the carpeted Excursion. Also you can get around the higher insurance rates as the Excursion is branded an SUV and might rollover in the eyes of the insurance company

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
very well said mr psychotic *******. when i towed it with all my crap on the upper platform i had 5,060 on the drive axle,wich equates to 2060 lbs worth of pin weight.

if you cut the whole neck off and put the tongue right at the front,youd lose lots of storage space and prolly the axles are still too far back to pull as a bumper pull.

keeping it the same length would be out of the question-2000 lbs at the end of the truck on a bumper pull hitch would be bad.

if you are really into the idea of an excursion, i think youd be better off to pass the trailer on and start from scratch... then you could get the axles in the right spot to tow good and maximize storage space.

30 feet is quite feasible as a bumperpull,but there are other factors involved.

i personally would hate to see you go to a bumperpull. ive towed some long/big awkward stuff in different configurations and a 5er/goose pulls so nice... your trailer is alittle jumpy without a rig on it but trust me it pulls awsome with a load.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
i think even with a weight distribution hitch you're going to be really disappointed in how it pulls after being spoiled with a gooseneck.
All bumper pulls disappoint after pulling with a gooseneck.

30' bumper pull is really going to be a handful. WD hitch will be a must. And getting your weight in the right place on the trailer is going to be very important.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The longer the more of a handful it will be. However there is a guy on rv.net that pulls a 41' toy hauler with a dually V10 Ford Van-yes a dually van. He's been doing it for years too.

15,439 Posts
This one I built pulls fine, its basically a little over 30 ft long . Bed is 24 ft. I just got some ride rite airbags for the truck too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
the big problem is more so with the truck bed camper on the front. with a decent weight rig on the back of the trailer to keep the weight halfway balanced, it would be nerve wracking but tollerable but theres no way you would ever be able to haul that trailer bumper pull style with the back half of it empty....so forget using it for any 2am rescue jobs when a friend or family member is broke down in the side of bfe needing help.

Theres plenty of guys running 30 foot bumper pull trailers but they don't have truck campers permanantly attached to the front of the deck so the load can be adjusted accordingly whether hauling one rig or two to get the tongue weight correct.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
As they said you'll have A bunch of tongue weight. I used to pull a bumper pull 28' enclosed trailer everyday. Is was behind a crew cab F450 with 8' dump bed. It handled it easy as far as the power goes.

I think you'd have a hard time with an X. You could do the spring swap and air bags, but you'd still have to move the axles forward. Plus I don't think it would be all that stable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We got a 28 foot enclosed that we tow are race truck and four wheller it is a extra height trailer we tow it with my dad 08 Chevy we heve to distrubute the weight right or it will beat you to hell in the truck

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Not sure what you guys all complain about with the tag trailer, with the sleeper cab on the front I had 800# TW and w/ jeep would roll it up to 1500#, Some guys bairly load that much with a goose.

I'm pulling 22' deck + 5' tongue. I'm also running the Reese dual cam w/ sway control. The WD transfers TW to the van while the sway control helps keep it in line when the wind is blowing me all over...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Not sure what you guys all complain about with the tag trailer, with the sleeper cab on the front I had 800# TW and w/ jeep would roll it up to 1500#, Some guys bairly load that much with a goose.
all you guys are missing the point somewhat...the question is not wether or not a big bumperpull is possible... its more of wether its a feasible idea with the trailer pictured. i agree its completely possible to tow a long bumper pull,and as texas dick has demonstrated(prior to his conversion) its quite possible to build a flatdeck/camper bumper pull toyhauler.

go back to his thread... look where his wheels are in relation to the camper and where the rig rides

now look at 2slo's trailer. i built it-so i know the wheels are are alot further back than what they need to be to have that trailer pull decently as a bumper pull.

as i stated above:

when i towed it with all my crap on the upper platform i had 5,060 on the drive axle,wich equates to 2060 lbs worth of pin weight.
with my rig on it the trailer/load was about was about 9400 lbs. 2slo's rig is about 1200 heavier than my scout with will put him about 10,600. if all other things are equal the 2060 makes for 20% tongue weight.

i stand behind my answer that the converison is not a good idea,as he will have to move the axles as well,wich will be a PITA.

is a bumper pull toyhauler feasible? sure. but i dont think the conversion is a good idea... sell it and start from scratch if he really wants to go the bumperpull route.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have an 05 Excursion and have pulled a 35 foot bumper pull with two built rigs with no issues at all. You need the right hitch, distribution set up, and a quality built(name brand) trailer. The one I used is from Superior Trailers. I believe it was considered a 35,or 36 footer. I would buy it if I had a place to keep it. I just borrow it when needed. My base trailer is a 22 foot, and the Ex pulls it with zero issues, no matter what's on it, or the weather conditions.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive always wanted a dually.love the way they feel going down the road.ill go that route for now then get the gf a excursion after marriage :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts