Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods Please move if this topic is off base.

Whats the longest distance anyone has traveled on a rig with a 37" or larger tire?

I am looking to drive ~2200 Miles from SE michigan to my new residence in SE montana. I have a tow rig and trailer, for some reason I think driving and wheeling along the way would be a good bucket list item. I have a diesel tow rig and trailer as well (tow pig and trailer are currently in montana, jeep is in micigan)

What does pirate say, Sack up and drive the bitch or live in luxury in the tow rig.

Rig specs: 83 Scrambler on Tons, SOA, Hydro assist steering, LS engine with SM465 and Dana 300, 39" pitbull bias tires. everything works as it should.

Tim

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Topic is off base for sure.

Drove a 5-ton military truck from Pennsylvania to Washington state in the winter with a non-functioning cab heater. Doesn't get much more miserable than that. I survived.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
You have the time, I’d vote the drive the rig option. Definitely a bucket list thing. Worst case you can get a buddy to drive the tow rig to recovery the Jeep?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Drive it, that's what it's for. I drive mine too and from Moab and the Rubicon and I live 45 miles NE off Tulsa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this topic is not really hard core or tech related (I have been participating here since 03 under a different user name).

MY main concern lies in drive shaft and pinion bearing longevity. With steeper driveshaft angles I dont know how long to expect unjoint/driveshaft/pinion bearings to live under high speed continuous duty cycle. I am running Tom woods shafts with driveshaft geometry set up following billavista's tech article. Is it unrealistic to expect 2200 miles of continuous duty from a driveshaft? I would assume if people are running buggies coast to coast... no

I want to drive the damn thing, God willing and the creek dont rise..... Pics to come.

Tim

·
Registered
483 Posts
I know this topic is not really hard core or tech related (I have been participating here since 03 under a different user name).

MY main concern lies in drive shaft and pinion bearing longevity. With steeper driveshaft angles I dont know how long to expect unjoint/driveshaft/pinion bearings to live under high speed continuous duty cycle. I am running Tom woods shafts with driveshaft geometry set up following billavista's tech article. Is it unrealistic to expect 2200 miles of continuous duty from a driveshaft? I would assume if people are running buggies coast to coast... no

I want to drive the damn thing, God willing and the creek dont rise..... Pics to come.

Tim
I drove about that far on this years Ultimate Adventure in my similarly built Scrambler...and threw in a gazillion trails and rocks and skinny pedal and overloaded with gear...etc..all on a bad head gasket.....and would easily do it again. Don't over think or over worry about things like a driveshaft spinning for 2k miles......they were made to do that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have done two decent road trips in open jeeps with big tires.
One was Pennsylvania to California and back.
Did some 4 wheeling on the way out and back.
That one was just over 8000 miles total.

Did another one with the same 2 jeeps.
Not quite the distance on the second one.
6300 miles.
Pennysylvania to Montana and back.
4 wheeled on the way out and back again.

Both times there were break downs.
Some minor stuff. Some major stuff.

However I wouldn't go back and have done the trips with the jeeps on trailers.

Do the trip but plan it properly.
Find someone to do it with you.

Broken down in the middle of nowhere isn't as bad when you aren't alone.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
@Mieser - he's done that distance in the flatty and FJ/LS/Lexus thing.
That's me.

Yup. I have done multiple long trips like that....

'2000 Miles of Nervous Nirvana' in my old flat fender.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-willys/1280122-2000-miles-nervous-nirvana.html

I also did 3150 miles in my flat fender for Ultimate Adventure 2014
...another 1200+ for UA 2015

I recently did 2400+ miles for a shake down run on my new LX45 project with a run through the Rubicon in middle. It had 3 miles on it when I left. :grinpimp:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-willys/2126506-jumping-ship.html

...towards the end of that one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have done it in a jeep and on a motorcycle several times. It sucks in the middle, and at the end you wish it could keep on going.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I drove my 77 ram charger on 37 tsl’s from Montana to New Jersey when I was 19. No spare tire, enough parts and tools to fix almost anything! Met my friends in Indy for the 500 along the way.Was one of the best trips Ive done.Everybody said I was crazy for doing it but I had fun. I want to do another trip like it when I finish my Dakota. I say go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mieser thanks a ton for the two threads, those are two very well built rigs!

Tim

That's me.

Yup. I have done multiple long trips like that....

'2000 Miles of Nervous Nirvana' in my old flat fender.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-willys/1280122-2000-miles-nervous-nirvana.html

I also did 3150 miles in my flat fender for Ultimate Adventure 2014
...another 1200+ for UA 2015

I recently did 2400+ miles for a shake down run on my new LX45 project with a run through the Rubicon in middle. It had 3 miles on it when I left. :grinpimp:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-willys/2126506-jumping-ship.html

...towards the end of that one.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Do it and plan accordingly. Take spare parts, service rig before hand, plan for a layover and a service checkup along the way. With the 465 and 39s I doubt you will be running 80 on the highway for long periods. I imagine you will be taking your time on side roads and right lane on the highway. X2 on a co pilot. Enjoy the trip

1 - 20 of 33 Posts