Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I spent a year building a Dj8 for a customer. Week after it was done he drove from Seattle to Virginia then back. Had 37" radial swampers on it.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
oh yea i forgot about UA. but i wouldnt say thats "all the time". :rolleyes:
Fred and Dave just did a 2,000 mile road trip on 39’s for DED. #moarclampy

·
P.B.A.
4,324 Posts
I say do it and post up a thread along the way as you go. When I get my Cj done I’m thinking about doing an Oregon to rubicon and back trip no trailer no doors trip.

If you break someone from pirate would always help you out. Maybe get a few contacts of people on here that will be along the way in case something happens.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would learn more towards the drive it side of the equation except you mentioned this....

I am looking to drive ~2200 Miles from SE michigan to my new residence in SE montana. ...
So I am assuming this is a one way move and not necessarily a pleasure trip. Giving how much of a pain in the ass (and stressful) moving everything could be, I would tow it just to eliminate one more potential headache.

Now if I am off base and someone else is moving your crap, you've just got time to kill and want to play along the way (I.E. more of a pleasure trip) I would absolutely drive it. Bring Ear protection for the highway time.

To answer your other question, with a correctly built rig, I don't see any reason why you can't drive a rig with 37+ tires on it. We've done it multiple times ourselves with a decent success rate.

Ranger on 37's (not the best example as it wound up on a trailer for the last 600 miles). Total trip of around 3k miles:
2011 WY/MT Trip – Day 1 – Midwest Nomads

Two trips in our mercury totaling around 6k miles went without a hitch:
Colorado 2017 in the Mighty Merc – Midwest Nomads
Colorado 2018 – Granby area in the Mighty Merc – Day 1 – Midwest Nomads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drove my 77 cj5 from OR to FL in July of 2015 with the fender well headers from the 360 roasting my feet the whole way and sweating buckets.....stopping on back roads in the middle of nowhere to dump in jerry cans of gas as the damn thing gets about 10 miles to the gallon and has a 12 gallon tank. As much as it sucked, it makes for a good story. Drive it...life is short...have some adventures.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Drove my last jk, (4 door, hemi, atlas, tons, coilovers,40s) from NM to Alaska and back on a road/wheeling trip. 10k miles with the wife and an expo trailer.
I vote do it!

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Some of the best road trip memories I've had were in my first TJ. It was a 98 4.0 with the 32RH on 35s with a very bad ProComp lift and no SYE. Soft top, hard doors, heat, no cruise, and driving from San Antonio Texas to Idaho. This was in 2006, which had a horrible winter in that area. I thought I'd be fine, this literally sounds like no big deal.

Roads freeze over, I get the flu, I see 3 stock TJs flipped over on their roofs, all in 2 days. I can only do about 60mph with the 3 speed, heater dies, I have all my possessions in the back of the TJ. I pile on my extra clothes over my lap because it's 10 degrees out and the TJ heater resistor died. I'm going about 60 when the soft top fabric next to my head rips. It pops so loud I can't hear anything for 5 minutes and I nearly swerved off the road thinking the axle just grenaded. :laughing:

I spent the rest of that day and the next shivering in a motel room fighting off the flu with my clothes piled on me to stay warm. Previous to this, the rear D44 had shit out 3 axle bearings and later a ring gear bolt backed out and I went from 30mph to 5 mph REAL quick. Blew up the D30 about a week before that. That Jeep had so many memories from just trying to survive :laughing:

If you got the time, do it. It's awesome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am planning to make the run after new years. Ill post pics along the way. Its looking like a buddy from montana is going to fly to out and make the drive with me.
I am trying to get ahead of the game by going through the rig front to back. I have done the following work since starting this thread:

-Replaced the entire windshield wiper system including the motor
-Replaced the heater core, blower motor, and resistor and cleaned up some wonky wiring.
- replaced my bent ass stock YJ springs with RE 1445 springs front and rear.
-Completed some tube work around the front bumper and winch and attached some LED driving lights

I will most likely be doing a quick paint job for added corrosion resistance. The current a paint job is pretty beat, in addition i am getting new hard doors to try to keep warm. Ill try to keep everything the same color.

Tim

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Do it! Ultimate adventure 2017 I did just under 3k miles. A few months before that I did a 2k mile round trip. And UA2018 I did trailer for the first time to the starting point and regretted it but had to due to post UA wedding obligations and my buddy not wanting to drive my rig 3k miles home by himself. :D even trailering I still did 2400 miles between UA and driving to and from the tow rig and co drivers place 350 miles away.

All on 40s and an axle that’s from the 1960s with no issues. Oh and who knows how old the pinion bearings are lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also say do it! It's about the adventure. Again I would have a buddy to go just because. I mean being by yourself for that long can be somewhat therapeutic but it's good to have the buddy there. Take tools, spare basic parts if possible. Plan on the worst. Give the rig a real good go over before you leave.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts