Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beefy, that's what came to mind when I saw these...The package was 40lbs and the rings came in a box with plenty of padding, with all the nutserts/washers/bolts in a ziplock back within the center. Included extras were instructions plus 1 extra bolt/washer/nutsert assembly.

That may not seem like enough, but you will NOT mess these up like typical nutserts. These are beefy with locking teeth on the top of them, you insert them from the bottom into the lower lock ring's hole, put the bolt down through the outter ring and washer and tighten it with your finger, after that it's one handed wrenching, no channel locks or vice grips needed at all!

To start with I ground all the paint from the outside ring of my rockstomper 2" BS wheels, and had a friend who does aircraft welding put these in, once welded (and beautifully centered) I ran a large bead of high-temp black rtv silicon (in the large cauk gun type tubes) over the weld and filled the gap to the edge of the wheel lip. Then painted the ring and new outside bead with rustoleum flat black.

Assembling the wheels was a PITA due to having to assemble them backwards (the 2" bs wheels are reversed center's basically). But the last 2 went on easier with more soapy water added.

Then i centered the wheel within the tire, layed down the outer ring and started bolting...Each will took probably 45mins to assemble with it seeming to take forever to get it tight with two 9/16 sockets, once it seemed tight onto the inside steel lip (to prevent coning), i used the torque wrench, starting around at 15, then 25, then 35ft.lbs.

Believe it or not, my 40-45mph very slight wobble is now gone, and they are smooth from 0-70mph!!! With absolutely no balance, lead, golfball, bb's, nothing.

They hold up extremely well, at one point on the trail ride i had turned and a stump lodged itself on the inside of the wheel and the ring on the inside of the wheel chunked the stump up pretty damn well with not so much as a scratch to the paint.

I'll never go back to plain steel wheels, on extreme sidehilling the inner beads would start loosing air and roll off at below 4psi. On not so aggressive sidehills 3.5psi held just fine.

Now for the pictures.

P.S. Bobby is awesome to do business with and for a little $$$ he shipped them quicker, he's great to talk with and will answer any questions.

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The nice thick nutsert, no crappy thing nutserts for Bobby.

Attachments

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inner ring and your new outside bead....

Attachments

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice ground smooth edge to prevent the lock ring from cutting into the tire

Attachments

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two pieces inside the tire...

Attachments

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your new outside wheel thickness...

Attachments

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
soopatoy said:
looks great!:cool:
how long did it take you to install them?
Well it took my buddy around 3 hours to weld them up and for me to silicon and paint them, then around 45mins or so to bolt them all together.

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SeaBass44 said:
Yup, look like the BEST locks around! killer paint job;)
The camoclad vinyl held up extremely well, At one tight spot I had a tree that I used to pivot with along the body and it wedged itself between the bed and the rear of the body and I had to rock a bit to get it off but it didn't scratch the vinyl off at all...Seems to be holding up really well in this bitter cold...

I wish I had pics from this weekend but too much fun to get out...It was 5' out that morning, cold run w/the doors off and snow on everything ;-)

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Hey Snake or Bobby or anyone else

I see that you have welded and band onto the inner ring. I'm assuming this is to stop the coning effect when you bolt the outer ring to the inner.

My question is: Why does it (the band on the inner ring) appear to have a large chamfer on it?

I'm not refering to the outer ring which is chamfered for protecting the bead on the tire but the other one.

BTW : Nice looking locks.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Ben Holloway said:
why dont you look at his website sometime, they are on there

Ben
Why is it that you feel the need to say something stupid after I post? It's really getting old and it really shows your intelligence.

If you look at his site, which I just did, he does NOT have a closeup of the rings showing this inner welded on band which is unique to his. Just two distance pictures. That is what I suggesting he add the above picture to his site.

Edit: Before and after my posts
||
\/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts