Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering box is leaking like a sieve. I am going to have to replace it. Tired of trying to fix it.

I have a flipsert in the tie rod hole of the pitman arm to fill the hole I drilled out and threaded back when I used Heims for steering.

Subsequently I have went to high steer and with basic Parts Mike arms with spacers (Thanks Snoopy) and tie rods.

I don't like the flipsert and need to change pitman arms from old box to new box... and have wondered if a drop pitman arm would help since I have no stock pitman arms laying around to use that are not drilled out to 3/4 and tapped.

What say you? Here is a pic of the steering:

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
I have a flipsert in the tie rod hole of the pitman arm to fill the hole I drilled out and threaded back when I used Heims for steering.
I don't mean to beat a bush, but if you have the flipsert in the pitman arm, its the DRAGLINK hole, not the tierod. Sorry, just threw me for a second. ;)

Subsequently I have went to high steer and with basic Parts Mike arms with spacers (Thanks Snoopy) and tie rods.

I don't like the flipsert and need to change pitman arms from old box to new box... and have wondered if a drop pitman arm would help since I have no stock pitman arms laying around to use that are not drilled out to 3/4 and tapped.

What say you? Here is a pic of the steering:
The only time I'd use a drop pitman arm is if (and only if) your draglink connects with the tierod. Meaning, the draglink DOES NOT go to the passenger side arm in its own hole. Your system DOES connect the draglink directly to the passenger hysteer arm so to keep the steering ratio, get and use a stock length pitman arm.

I don't have any stock pitman arms around but you could check with
Phil Coonrod: 303-838-8505
Duane Hayes: 719-749-2852
and/or IHOnlyNorth: IHonlyNorth.com
Looking good.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Snoopy I think he meant an extra stock arm laying around. Kinda looks like a stock arm on there now. Hard to tell with that black on black pic.

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snoopy I think he meant an extra stock arm laying around. Kinda looks like a stock arm on there now. Hard to tell with that black on black pic.
It is the stock one. Just looking to upgrade (if a drop pitman is an upgrade) while I have it apart to replace the box.

I just happen to have a old box and pitman laying in the garage. you are more than welcome to the arm.Just let me know if you want it. I am just down the road from ya :D
I may take you up on that.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Holy crap batman, he also has the ultra rare leak free Scout too...:flipoff2: I know my Scout would have figured it died and gone to Scout heaven sitting on the white floor like that.

You don't need a drop arm as Snoopy said, but a waggy arm that has been milled and tapered to fit a 1-ton drag link end would work. But you really need to think about that too, as it might hit the oil pan in front being shorter, so a stock arm might be the only way to go.

Attachments

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy crap batman, he also has the ultra rare leak free Scout too...:flipoff2: I know my Scout would have figured it died and gone to Scout heaven sitting on the white floor like that.

You don't need a drop arm as Snoopy said, but a waggy arm that has been milled and tapered to fit a 1-ton drag link end would work. But you really need to think about that too, as it might hit the oil pan in front being shorter, so a stock arm might be the only way to go.
I am outside....there is plenty of dino blood on the floor behind.....plenty.

·
Vendor
1,609 Posts
I used to have steering like that... IT SUCKED. I eventually broke the high steer arm right off the knuckle On the Rubicon . Like I've seen dozens before as well. I cut and welded my steering arm right to the tierod, then connected the draglink to the tierod and my steering improved by 25-30% and I stopped killing ps pumps as well.

I think it takes way more force to try and move the passenger tire, which in turn moves the driver tire. When hooking it up to the tierod It moves both at the same time and had way less drag. You may want to look into that...

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I used to have steering like that... IT SUCKED. I eventually broke the high steer arm right off the knuckle On the Rubicon . Like I've seen dozens before as well. I cut and welded my steering arm right to the tierod, then connected the draglink to the tierod and my steering improved by 25-30% and I stopped killing ps pumps as well.

I think it takes way more force to try and move the passenger tire, which in turn moves the driver tire. When hooking it up to the tierod It moves both at the same time and had way less drag. You may want to look into that...
I did a similar thing on my old scout. But, the knuckle wasnt milled and I think the studs had come loose. Now, on everything I build, it gets up sized to 5/8's studs and tightened down REALLY tight. I built Scout Brokers steering as mentioned above. Tied the drag link into the tie rod. Worked pretty decent.

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I swapped in a new pump, pressure hose, and gear on Sunday. Bled it yesterday, adjusted some distances and all seems very good now.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Well I swapped in a new pump, pressure hose, and gear on Sunday. Bled it yesterday, adjusted some distances and all seems very good now.
I think your setup is fine, got a nice big tranny cooler for a PS cooler??
I assume you got the leak in the steering box fixed too.

If you ever find your self wanting one finger steering, PSC now sells a 6 3/4" ram that would work great under there.:smokin:

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think your setup is fine, got a nice big tranny cooler for a PS cooler??
I assume you got the leak in the steering box fixed too.

If you ever find your self wanting one finger steering, PSC now sells a 6 3/4" ram that would work great under there.:smokin:
Thanks. No leaks from the new stuff yet.

I SHOULD have just bought the PSC stuff, but then what would I have to upgrade later? :evil:

I DO have the big tranny cooler inline, hopefully it will all work. I have the tiny little 37" tires so surely it will make it no more than I wheel out side of "four walls". :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts