Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It kind of went to hell in 6 years. Looks like the previous owner to me did nothing to it in 6 years.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sweet man! I love those awsome cheap deals! I just picked up an 88 4runner a few weeks ago for $700! Its in great shape too except for the usual rusty fenders. Nice one.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I grew up in VT (moved out here 11 yrs. ago) and I don't recall seeing any first Gen trucks with that much of the bed left. For the location and the condition it's in you got a SCREAMING deal for a TOY that's almost 25 yrs. old. :smokin:

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Just curious do alot of people goto EFI with these things or stay carb'ed? How hard would it be to drop in a EFI motor, harness, ECU and fuel tank??
Although I run EFI, many of the Formula Toy guys run carbs. Camo sez they can be made to work almost as well. Don't junk the carb just yet, it might only need a rebuild or maybe only an adjustment.

For $300 I say wheel it.

Nice find, BTW.

Doc

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I got the truck home on friday.
I am pretty sure the headgasket is gone on it. The vehicle already has the weber carb on it so I have to tear down the engine. Also I am getting a 85 4x4 toyota for $100 that needs a headgasket the frame is shot on it I will likely use that to convert the 82 over to EFI.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"that's almost 25 yrs. old."

actually its 22 years old but whos counting? :shaking: :flipoff2:

sweet deal man.... 1st gens are the only way to go if you ask me!!!
i could be biased though.. :D

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
waskillywabbit said:
That's a smoking deal on a "Back to the Future" trail rig! Gosh that was a long time ago!

:smokin:
back to the future truck was an '85 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Stopped by at lunch and checked her out, not too bad!
DAMN I miss that truck.

She should never have sold it.

This may be a dumb question, but why would you not just have the head checked and put in a head gasket? Being a 22R, it will probably be just fine.

The weber rebuild is about $20 and takes 1 hour to do, start to finish.
The EFI swap is going to take a lot longer in your yard, in October, in vermont.

Take the $$ it would take for the swap and built a flatbed.

Is the $100 truck georges?

I need some interior bits off that!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I rewired the battery terminals with 1 gauge welding wire and got a 800 CCA optima red top battery.

It cranks over but gets close to starting but doesn't. It looks like it has been sitting a long long time so I assume it has little if any gas since the gauge is reading empty. So tomorrow I'll be buying a gas filter and a gas can. I also am going to pull the plugs and do a cold compression test on the engine.
The nice thing I got to test the other electrical stuff in the truck everything works headlights, turn signals, brake lights, hazzards, Hella 500's on the roll bar and the wipers and the blower motor.

I cleaned up the engine a little I am trying to get it running. That way I can bring it down to a car wash and blast the engine bay to clean it up not bad looking for a 22 year old truck though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Fawk well I got some gas in her and got a new fuel filter. I tryed to start it barley runs almost like it's misfiring bad as soon as I give it any throttle it quits and shoots misted fuel out the carb. I checked all the wires and they are ok but it's misfiring bad.

Engine starts but very rough idle, stops after 5 seconds
BTW this is what mine is doing as well but I have a 22R not a 22RE.

I did notice some empty boxes of timing chain stuff I think they changed the timing chain do you think the last guy who owned it has the engine 180 deg out?

What do you think is the problem?

·
Banned
4,587 Posts
934RNR said:
Fawk well I got some gas in her and got a new fuel filter. I tryed to start it barley runs almost like it's misfiring bad as soon as I give it any throttle it quits and shoots misted fuel out the carb. I checked all the wires and they are ok but it's misfiring bad.

BTW this is what mine is doing as well but I have a 22R not a 22RE.

I did notice some empty boxes of timing chain stuff I think they changed the timing chain do you think the last guy who owned it has the engine 180 deg out?

What do you think is the problem?
Put the engine to TDC and pull the cap off the distributor. Sounds 180* out to me. If that isn't it, pull the valve cover and see where the cam is when the crank is TDC

DAnny

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Well I got it running distributor was off a tooth.
It's alot smoother but sounds like crap though the timing chain is rattling like hell. It is way overdue for replacement so that is the next thing I have to fix but at least it runs now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts