Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy yall

I've been a good lurker on Pirate in general for a long while. I've done a good bit of reading about the ole Yoters and have seen these things do some amazing shit. We're in the process of building a Dodge Ramcharger with 1 tons,44s etc for the play toy. As of now I've always been a Dodge guy,but I've been looking for myself a new daily driver(one I got as of now is just about ready to die..shitty Dodges :grinpimp: Long story short I ran upon this ad for a 4Runner,I'm looking for a 4wd,5spd vechile as a daily driver that'll get better then 10mpg like I'm getting now in the Dodge :shaking: Upon looking deeper into the Yoter world,I've decided that I want a Yoter as a daily driver,if it serves me well I might just junk my huge Dodge truck and build me a Yoter and say screw fullsize rigs. Could you boys read this ad below and give me a thumbs up or down on this 4Runner? It'll definately see some wheeling time but it's gonna have to get me back and forth to school for 7 more months,then just work and play on the weekends. Just what you think about it,any good places to look for parts for it,I know All-Pro Offroad(which they got some kick a$$ stuff) but anything yall could possibly help a brother out into getting to better know the Toyota world in general. Thanks a lot for any help yall can give. Yall can build some kick ass trucks to!

The truck is an 84 4runner, the title is good, it has a 22r with a weber and a 5spd (g52).
-the transfer case has 4.7 gears, which is like having dual transfer cases and a homemade twin stick
-allpro 4" front suspension with their drop hanger which moves the axle forward 1.5-2"
-adjustable drop drag link
-chevy 63" rear springs with sky-manufacturing hangers and shackels
-procomp shocks in the rear and rancho shocks in the front with custom towers
-the rear axle is the wider one from an IFS truck and has a detroit locker in it
-the front axle is open for now and has longfieldsn and aisian hubs
-it has custom front and rear bumpers and sliders
-it is 37" iroks with %90 tread which are mounted on 15x8 black rockcrawler rims with 2.5 backspacing
-the front driveshaft is square and the rear one is a beefier one from a long wheelbase toyota just shortened 7"
-i have the hard and soft tops for it
-and also many spare parts:
37 irok mounted on a beadlock
spare axle shafts and birfields
ifs steering box (for crossover steering)
ifs steering box mounts
knuckle rebuild kit- which i can put in if you want and weld the front diff if you want too for a little extra money.

$3600

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
SHIT! I'd buy it, go for it!!!!

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Yeah sounds like a fairly well built up truck. Check the classifieds on this board and on Marlincrawler.com and you'll see several rigs built similar to this for many more dollars.

And BTW, you're going to love not having to look out over that hood all day long. I know, I had a fullsize Bronco before my Toy.

Doc

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
gonna have to dump the G series tranny, cant go with dual cases...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are these trucks hard to work on at all? Seeing how I've always worked on Dodges with engine bays that you can get in and sit on the inner fender and work on the motor :flipoff2: I reckon everything is mertic sizes(bolts,nuts etc) I didn't reckon there would be a whole hellva lot to learn about them that is majorly different from other vechiles. I reckon I'll learn as I go if I do buy the truck,what kind of gas mileage(rough estimate)could I expect to see out of the 4Runner? Thanks for yalls help!

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
And they are even easier when you dump the turd power plant :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
They are easy to work on. Can be tight in some engine bay spots but the quality of parts/fitment more than makes up for it.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to run duals because of your g52 since you do have 4.7's.

With 37's, and assuming 5.29's you'll probably get around 15mpg.

After you get this and lock the front, put longfields in right away.

I usaed to wheel fullsize too, I will never go back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
well built rig in almost everyway

the spare 37 on beadlock and the other spare stuff is perfect

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Holly Shit ..... is this Big Mo Howard :D (I'm wrong... right?)

3600 is a good price....... it comes with the IFS box which is good cause your are going to want to do x-over steering very soon.

toyotas are pretty easy to work on :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all yalls help! I'm just waiting for the feller to get back with me on it so we can talk for certain. What company would yall suggest to get x-over steering from,longfields,Detroit for the front etc from? I reckon if I get it I'll build it up and see how it'll hold up to my right foot in the mud,rocks,trails in general. If it'll hold up really well I'll probalby just make it real nice and drive it everywhere,having to buy a big ole truck and trailer to tow junk around on sucks a big one! I'll see how the 1 ton Ramcharger does,but it's a trailer queen :rolleyes: Thanks again for yalls help,hopefully I can join the group soon :flipoff2:

Jimbo

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Oh, and rustle ya up some Lone Star's or PBR's or Hooch, and read through the FAQ's when you've got a couple of hours. You'll get lots of info and a general idea of who knows what's up, and lots of different ways to build your rig.

Doc

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot Doc I'll have to do that!

Talked to the feller today,he said everything on it is in good shape cept the pinion seal is leaking,which he's going to fix. Then said that the clutch is wearing out some,so it'll need a clutch in the near future. Said it has 208k on it(from what I've read that's nothing on the little 22Rs..or am I wrong?) Runs like a top,drives down the road good etc. He said it has 4.10 gears in it,stock I believe. So it ain't got 5.29s in it :( But I still believe it'll be a good truck. Where would be a good place to get a clutch and all that good stuff from? Also what bout gears,reckon if I locked the front I'd just save up and buy some new gears for it and gotta put me a good radio in it,gotta have a radio :) Sorry for all the questions,I'm just making sure to cover all my bases before I step out in new waters. Thanks again for all yalls help and welcomes

Jimbo

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
With 208000 miles on her I'd check the engine close, look for blow by and give her a compression test to be safe. If it was well maintained it's entire life it should be ok, but if not, it could be weak and you maybe looking at an overhaul sooner than later.

Also, sheit can that weber crap and convert it to EFI :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
:eek: :eek:
i'm buying my ticket to buy it if you don't

BUY THE FAWKING THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I have 3 dodge trucks, and a 4runner. 2 are 77's. One 77 I havent worked on in 3 years, the other a year and a half. They are both sitting. My 96 gets as minimal seat time as possible. I love my 85 4runner. Just wish I had a cherry interrior for it.

You;ll love the truck, but the highway speed takes some getting used to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts