Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has to be compact in size and mount using pins or bolts, NOT like a Chevy d60 caliper. Anyone know of anything? I know an F-550 caliper would fit over thr rotor, but its not compact enough.

J. J.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I believe that a 3/4 Ton chevy 4x4 uses an 1.5" thick rotor, and the caliper mounts with 2 sliding pins.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
go to www.napaonline.com and look up lots of applications and see if they have 1.5" brake rotors. Then look up the calipers for those applications. They have pictures of everything.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Patoyee, what are you trying for? Are you tryng to get a caliper to fit under a 15" wheel? What axle setup is this going on? How big is the rotor? 1.5" X ?? (13",15",17") If you are running a 15" or 16" wheel and trying to squeeze a 13" or 14" rotor in there, you are really going to have a challenge to get a good,small brake caliper. If you give a little more info, maybe someone has tried what you are doing and has info that could help you out.

the ford F550 caliper is large and heavy. it has dual pistons and would work well for stopping such a large rotor, however it sounds like you are looking for a smaller size. you could try going to a heavy duty truck supply place and look at calipers for bobtail trucks. Maybe a Kodiak, Isuzu, International, and others. I am sure there will be something that would work for you there. I think you might have a hard time finding a caliper that will stop how you want in a small package.

Good Luck and post up some more info so we can try to help you out.

JJ

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
i seen on here some were. Someone wideing a yota caliper. With some home made blocks. hell there 4 piston right. just need some widened block to allow fluid to travel to other side. Just a idea.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think the rotors on my '95 3/4 ton Dodge pickup are 1.5" thick. The caliper looks reasonably compact and uses some sort of pins to secure it. It might be worth looking into for you anyway...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patoyee, what are you trying for? Are you tryng to get a caliper to fit under a 15" wheel? What axle setup is this going on? How big is the rotor? 1.5" X ?? (13",15",17") If you are running a 15" or 16" wheel and trying to squeeze a 13" or 14" rotor in there, you are really going to have a challenge to get a good,small brake caliper. If you give a little more info, maybe someone has tried what you are doing and has info that could help you out.

the ford F550 caliper is large and heavy. it has dual pistons and would work well for stopping such a large rotor, however it sounds like you are looking for a smaller size. you could try going to a heavy duty truck supply place and look at calipers for bobtail trucks. Maybe a Kodiak, Isuzu, International, and others. I am sure there will be something that would work for you there. I think you might have a hard time finding a caliper that will stop how you want in a small package.

Good Luck and post up some more info so we can try to help you out.

JJ
I'm building my own 8-lug wheel brakes for a rockwell front end utilizing a 1-ton d60 rotor, which is 1.5" thick. Wheel size isn't a huge issue, I'm running 17's. The issue is that the rotor places the caliper directly over the gihugic steering knuckle. That's why space is limited.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe that a 3/4 Ton chevy 4x4 uses an 1.5" thick rotor, and the caliper mounts with 2 sliding pins.
Wrong, that rotor is 1.25". and I've already tried squeezing that caliper over the 1-ton rotor. It doesn't fit.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the rotors on my '95 3/4 ton Dodge pickup are 1.5" thick. The caliper looks reasonably compact and uses some sort of pins to secure it. It might be worth looking into for you anyway...
That rotor is only 1.3" thick. I suppose if I had the caliper I could try it and see, but none of the other 1.25" calipers I've tried have fit, so I'm sceptical.

J. J.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
IIRC isn't the Dodge D60 rotor a little thinner, but identifical in every other way to the Chevy 60 rotor?

That would get you a narrower 1T rotor to start with.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
go to www.napaonline.com and look up lots of applications and see if they have 1.5" brake rotors. Then look up the calipers for those applications. They have pictures of everything.
Dude! That sounds like really good advice!!!11!!!!11st guess I looked up was an 06 GM 3500 and it has 1.5" rotors and bolt on 2 piston calipers :gary:

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
That rotor is only 1.3" thick. I suppose if I had the caliper I could try it and see, but none of the other 1.25" calipers I've tried have fit, so I'm sceptical.

J. J.
On my '97, the caliper is single piston and the caliper won't clear the knuckle on the Rock. I know, I tried on mine. :D

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude! That sounds like really good advice!!!11!!!!11st guess I looked up was an 06 GM 3500 and it has 1.5" rotors and bolt on 2 piston calipers :gary:
I've been doing that for 2 weeks now to no avail. Let me know if you come up with anything though!!!111!!!

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not sure if this will help or not, but I am using some corvette calipers for my 8 lug on the mogs, the rotor is 3/4 ton chevy though, I will go and measure and see if you have room for the big rotor.
That woudl help a lot, thanks!

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IIRC isn't the Dodge D60 rotor a little thinner, but identifical in every other way to the Chevy 60 rotor?

That would get you a narrower 1T rotor to start with.
According to napaonline, they are the same rotor. But I might need to check a different year Dodge. Do you know what year you may be referring to?

J. J.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
1st one I tried on napaonline was a 2004 GM 3500. It has a 1.5" rotor and a 2 piston bolt on caliper.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. id din't think to try something that new. That caliper wasn't exactly what I was expecting though. I see the huge holes where it mounts, but wouldn't you need some sort of sliding pin to work with it? I know it has a seperate bolt-on bracket that you can only get at the dealership, but I should be able to do it without that bracket.

J. J.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts