1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Even the cheap sets are fine if you use 'em in a drill press or mill. People trash them trying to use them in hand drills.

I've got a cheap 8pc set from Northern I've been using for 5 years now.

I personally wouldn't drop that much dough on an 8pc set. I'd rather get an import set of 1/2 thru 1" in 64ths. These are VERY handy to have, and can be had for about the same coin, maybe $100 more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL those import ones from e-bay are SHIT!! :shaking: anyone who buys them is going to be pissed. I made maybe 3 holes with my 7/8ths with my drill press running at 180 RPM drilling 1" plate and they where jacked they SUCK!!! These norseman's come in a set 1/2 INCH 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16 & 1 Inch made of Hi-Molubdenum tools steel. There isn't even a argument here seriously.... spend 50-100 bucks on crap or just buy the good shit that will last 1000x longer for 200 bucks... It's a no brainer! I only posted this topic to give any future buyers a heads up do what you will. If you have a nice drill press and want a NICE set of bits for a good price I don't think you will find better for the price. Fastenal wanted around $40 bucks PER BIT for the norseman knock-off's made in China or a set for $189 DUH :homer::laughing:

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
wtf is Hi-Molubdenum? HSS? cobalt? tin coated? what makes the Hi-Molubdenum ones $100 more than the other ones on there site.
to tell you the truth usualy you dont need the usual fraction sizes. what you going to do with a 1in hole? your not going to fit a 1in bolt through it very well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wtf is Hi-Molubdenum? HSS? cobalt? tin coated? what makes the Hi-Molubdenum ones $100 more than the other ones on there site.
to tell you the truth usualy you dont need the usual fraction sizes. what you going to do with a 1in hole? your not going to fit a 1in bolt through it very well.
took 30 sec. to find this

One of molybdenum's most unique and therefore useful qualities is its extremely high melting point: 4753 degrees F (2623 degrees C, or 2896 K). In fact, compared to other pure elements, molybdenum has one of the highest melting points. Because of its ability to withstand extremely high temperatures, molybdenum is used in the manufacture of missiles, aircrafts, spacecrafts, rifle barrels, light bulb filaments, and furnace components.
n the United States, about two thirds of the molybdenum is used to make stainless and alloy steel. Stainless steel, resistant to rust and corrosion, is used, for example, in water distribution systems and food-service equipment. Durable alloy steels are used in the formation of automotive parts and construction machinery. Added to steel alloys, molybdenum forms an extremely strong product that can withstand high temperatures. Molybdenum can also be used as a smoke and flame retardant, a corrosion inhibitor, a dry lubricant, and a chemical catalyst in certain applications in the petroleum industry.

I drilled a bunch of 7/8ths and 1in holes to build my bender and it worked great... the bolts fit threw the holes very nicely! I guess in a perfect world and with unlimited funds you would want to drill everything small and ream each hole to perfect spec's but that's not really necessary for most of the work that where doing here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway I'm done with this topic all I was trying to do was give my opinion and experience with some large drill bits. Thought someone sometime might find this to be useful information and help them with there decision. And there is a difference between a cheep and quality it is what it is.

peace

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
For a job shop yes it is important to spend $$$ and have quality stuff. As was stated, the cheap HF set (mine goes from 9/16" to 1") works fine in a drill press. I drilled one hole with it using a handrill and it sucked for me and the drill bit.

For $29 bucks or whatever it was for the HF set, for most home shops (which this forum caters to) they hold up for years of hobby use.

No need to get butt hurt. A good tool is a good tool. For example, many of us will spend the coin on milwaukee (or whatever gets you hard) for stuff you just want to be able to pickup and go (portaband, hand drill, etc.) but for non-everyday stuff like those large bit assortments (which most of us don't drill THAT often)the HF works for me and a lot of my friends (most of whom use them in a bridgeport) when used with a press. Someone who is unhappy with the HF set and has the extra coin, may look into your suggestion.

If I'm using a hand drill and have to drill something thickish, I use a holesaw (starrett) or step drill (harbor freight) and lube like crazy.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I drilled a bunch of 7/8ths and 1in holes to build my bender and it worked great... the bolts fit threw the holes very nicely! I guess in a perfect world and with unlimited funds you would want to drill everything small and ream each hole to perfect spec's but that's not really necessary for most of the work that where doing here.
I recently drilled the holes for 12 benders, thats 264 holes with the same drill. a drill sharpener does wonders, so does a god cutting oil.
are you using a pilot hole when using a drill this big?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I have a pile of huge drill bits and even more hole saws.

When I have a need to drill a big hole, I usually have someone who is paying me to make/fix/modfiy something for which I need that drill bit. Under those conditions, I don't mind spending $40 for a bit that I'm gonna make back four times over.

Sometimes it really is worth it to buy the expesnive tools piece-meal versus the uber-cool kit that your friends can be impressed by seeing in your toolbox. For some reason, folks look in my toolbox and compliment me on only having the wrench sizes I need for working on what I work on-others would just see a jumble of wrenches, rather than the nice packages the kits come in!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
huh maybe I just got a bad set. I didn't get mine from HF, my HF didn't have the jumbo set. I ordered mine from a e-bay store and they just seamed really really soft. I started with a small pilot hole around the size of the tip of the size of the bit I wanted the hole & was horrible... got maybe 2 holes. Then I decided to step up like every other bit or so, was a little better but still sucked. Like I said I was spinning them at 180 rpm in my press using Zep NC45 as a lubricant (used a whole can on the few holes that I did LOL). Maybe the HF bits are better than my E-Bay bits... think they where called "bull dog" or something like that.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Schony your info is valid and the Norseman set looks nice.

Most of the machine tool suppliers sell a "Made in the USA" set of bits in various configurations. Basically a generic made-in-US set.

As an example Rutland currently has this 8 pc set on sale for $89
https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=30920

Or a set for $180 going in 32nds (16 pc)
https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=30922

You've gotta use a promo code (02101) when ordering to get the "sale" prices

A decent USA, black oxide set will last most people many, many years. I think if more people knew how to sharpen bits on a grinder they'd be less concerned with buying "the best" bits.

Plus high dollar bits will slip in a chuck just like anything else, unless you get the 3-flat shanks which I'm not sure are all that great. So once you get into really nice bits (Triumph, Chicago Latrobe etc) it's advisable to use only collets which, in most cases, means a mill. Many shops won't allow you to use the GOOD bits on anything but CNC machines, in collets (morse tapers being an exception on large drill presses)

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
(morse tapers being an exception on large drill presses)
The best bits I have and likely most expensive are all MT and fit fine in my drill press and the tail stock of at least one of the lathes.

While I have multiple of the smaller size bits (they're cheaper by the dozen) for the big ones, I'll buy them as-needed.

If I had a mill (or a drill press with a drawbar and R-8 spindle), I'd have a universal hole tool-a boring head!:laughing::D

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
$200 buys you something that looks like this:

Or this:
And how much is the drill/mill you have to use? I can tell you that unless you have a GOOD drill press, the runout in the chuck will make those things useless. I use them with a Mag drill at work. Wouldnt even trust them in a regular drill press.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
So the couple thousand holes I have drilled using these in a import 18" drill press must have never happened? :laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts