Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
texican said:
You are being much too anal, shoot a bit of PB blaster on it, maybe use a brass toothbrush and wheel it.
They work don't they?
Butch
Yep, they work, but during the construction on the house/garage this summer/fall, the top cover from the SM420 that I'm using was moved where it got rained on (I had a bunch of stuff on my driveway all covered up) and it got rustier than hell and wont move (It was hidden under a tarp that driveway rainwater was able to get under). It has WAY better shift forks. If it is easier to remove them and put them on the older cover than derusting the newer cover, then I wanted to swap.

Anyway, both are soaking while I try to get my 3spd tcase seperated from the J30!! That nut is a tough biatch when the gears want to spin!!:( I've made a huge pile of toothpicks out of 2 2X4s trying to keep the gears from spinning!!:rolleyes: I need a socket to fit that nut too, larger than 24mm??:confused:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sean,
try using something on the parking brake drum studs to hold it. I drilled two holes in a piece of angle iron to bolt onto the pb drum studs to hold it...

Sears has the right size, but I cant recall what it is...

-Brett

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cruiserbrett said:
Sean,
try using something on the parking brake drum studs to hold it. I drilled two holes in a piece of angle iron to bolt onto the pb drum studs to hold it...

Sears has the right size, but I cant recall what it is...

-Brett
The drum is off, its the nut, washer and spacer I'm trying to get off the output shaft! Not sure I understand your technique!

Here's a pic

This trannie/tcase was a mess. It was sitting out back of my buddy's shop at least since the summer. I couldn't get the tcase drain pug out and had to drain it out the PTO opening. The fluid was so thick and there was a bucnh of water too - that was easy to get out - ice!! The trannie I coudn't drain at all. There is fluid in there but there are chucks of metal and sludge coving the hole. I couldn't work it free with a screw driver. I don't care about the trainnie, as long as I can seperate from the tcase!!:(

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
That big nut can be a bear. I have always just jammed something in the gears to keep them from turning and used a monster crecent wrench to get the nut loose.

Of course, an impact would make short work, I just don't have any sockets that big.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
wngrog said:
Of course, an impact would make short work, I just don't have any sockets that big.
Doh!! Why didn't I think of that!! Damn, I think I have an impact socket that size too!! I broke the piece of pipe on my compressor this fall that comes out of the top of the tank in the regulator (It fell over on my driveway! I just fixed it last week and it totally slipped my mind!!

Also, Does that look like a 67-69 tcase to you? I checked the pic on Woody's site!! I might just look for another tcase!!

thanks!!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Put the dam original top pon the Sm and go wheeling...

:flipoff2:

As for the case. The easiest way to tell if it is the good one is to see if the drain plug on the tcase has a rim around it. If it does, you have the ductile case vs. the brittle one and you are golden. If not..
I really would not put a brittle case behind the gearing of a SM420 and the mini tcase...

:nuke:

But what the hell do I know, I am turbocharging a 2F........

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jason M said:
I really would not put a brittle case behind the gearing of a SM420 and the mini tcase...

Yep, its a a brittle one. But hell it was free!! <G> I'll probably just look for another and use this, or at least get it ready as a spare, until I find a 70-75 t-case!

Hmm, maybe I should use the Search button, but can't I just use my 4 spd case and put the 3spd gears in it?? Or is that just another stoopid question!?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
MD11Fr8Dog said:
Hmm, maybe I should use the Search button, but can't I just use my 4 spd case and put the 3spd gears in it?? Or is that just another stoopid question!?
There are no stupid questions...just stupid people....or something like that lol

Yeppers, the gears can swap over entirely, but you need to shim up the idler cluster. IIRC, you can order a set of shims from Toyota for that, variety of sizes.

I'm gonna do it myself soon...have a 69 case to tear apart and a few later cases to swap gears into. (my 72 case in there now has held up well tho, so not in a hurry yet...lol)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sean,
Since you have the impact gun, use that, but otherwise I have had good luck throwing the parking brake drum back on, put the t-case in gear(Hi) and bolt a 2-3 foot length of angle iron on the parking brake flange

drill two holes in one end of the metal angle iron that that match the driveshaft stud pattern. use this as a lever. works every time I have needed to break those nuts free.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cruiserbrett said:
Sean,
Since you have the impact gun, use that, but otherwise I have had good luck throwing the parking brake drum back on, put the t-case in gear(Hi) and bolt a 2-3 foot length of angle iron on the parking brake flange

drill two holes in one end of the metal angle iron that that match the driveshaft stud pattern. use this as a lever. works every time I have needed to break those nuts free.

-Brett
Well, its a 32mm socket if anyone is interested (I didn't have one), but I just went and bought a larger crescent wrench. To took the cover off and wedged a piece of scrap metal into the gears long enough for me to lean on (about 1.5"X8"X.25') and then just wailed away with a BFH. Piece of cake with the right tools!!:cool:

Now I need what looks like a 29mm socket to get the front flange off!! Ugh! Anyone with suggestions? No one in town has scokets that large in stock except NAPA, and they are spendy!! I've tried heat, PB blaster, a drift and hammer in the slots on the nut, not enough bite for a wrench or vise grips!:confused:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
woody said:

There are no stupid questions...just stupid people....or something like that lol

Yeppers, the gears can swap over entirely, but you need to shim up the idler cluster. IIRC, you can order a set of shims from Toyota for that, variety of sizes.

I'm gonna do it myself soon...have a 69 case to tear apart and a few later cases to swap gears into. (my 72 case in there now has held up well tho, so not in a hurry yet...lol)
Hehe, I'm often accused of both!!:D

Looks like I just need to get the shims. Nothing else? Is the later tcase just wider where idler cluster sits? I just took the cluster out of my case just 15 mins ago, no play at all, a shame to have to remove them! No issues with different spline counts?

Hopefully my 75 case with 3spd gears and tcasr saver will be fine! Scott J. told me that would probably be fine with my 64-69 case, depending on driver technique!! I don't have any yet, though!!:(

Thx!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts