Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you heard this many times over but looking for a title. I bought a 1960 Willys Wagon out of a Farmers field. No Title no VIN plate found. Only have a Bill of Sale. He can't remember where or who he bought it from. Thoughts, suggestions or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This process is going to vary hugely depending on which state you are in. I hope you are not in NC, because it is a HUGE expensive pain in the arse here. I'm going through this now trying to title my jeep, which was a military vehicle and has never had a title.
Most states are going to have some ordeal you must endure to try and title something like that. Others my let you register it without a title.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you’re in Cali it’s easy to get the title. Just will need a letter from both “previous owners “
If it’s been Unregistered for 8 years or so it’ll be out of the system and they basically give you it. I’m not for sure if it is 8 years could be 6 or 7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Pennsylvania, bought the vehicle from a guy in Maryland using a Bill of Sale. He bought it from a guy in Pennsylvania but couldn't find the title. It has not been on the road since 1997. Biggest problem at this point is trying to find a VIN# on it. If nothing else I will have to find a junk wagon and get the vin plate and title.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Swapping VINs is against federal law so not a great idea.
Better would be to go to the PA DMV website and read the right way to get a VIN.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know the location of the vin can vary depending on the year. From what I've seen and heard they are in several locations. The cab vin should be next to the drivers side tool box or in the upper left corner of the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. The vin should also be located on the outside of the front drivers side frame of on top on of the passengers side frame towards the front of the frame or the middle. I suggest grabbing a brass wire wheel (son not to damage the vin) and a cordless drill. Give the spots I've mentioned a cleaning and see if you can find it. Since you live back east I'm going to assume the frame vin is gone due to salted roads, but hey you might get lucky. I hope you find it. Once you start working on it check out kaiserwillys.com. there's lots of information and parts on that site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know you heard this many times over but looking for a title. I bought a 1960 Willys Wagon out of a Farmers field. No Title no VIN plate found. Only have a Bill of Sale. He can't remember where or who he bought it from. Thoughts, suggestions or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.
So here's what I had to do with at least three IH Scouts, possibly more. The first time I dealt with a titleless Scout, I used "International Title Service". That's the name of the company, it has nothing to do with IHC specifically. This was probably two and half decades ago, so I have no idea if they're still in business. If they are, you just send them an affidavit swearing the vehicle is legally yours, $125 (cost at the time), and a bill of sale selling the vehicle to them. They clear the title and register the vehicle to their company in Vermont or New Hampshire, which has laws allowing this sort of thing, then when the paperwork comes in, they send it on to you with a bill of sale selling the vehicle back to you along with a legit New Hampshire title, and you mosey on over to the DMV and transfer the title. Of course, there's a slightly unsavory aspect to that whole operation, and it smacks just slightly of being on the edge of legality.
The easiest (but not the cheapest) way I did another one was to track down the last registered owner simply by asking at the DMV. Luckily, they were still local, and I visited them, and talked them into going to the DMV for a duplicate title (which I paid the fee for) plus $50 for their time and trouble.
The cheapest way I dealt with a titleless Scout was simply by annoying the county DMV vehicle inspector enough times over the years that he figured out I wasn't chopping classic vehicles, I'm just sick in the head for Scouts, and I have an annoying habit of buying ones that have been sitting in fields for decades. That guy grumbled every time he saw me coming, because I basically made him do his job. He had to do all the legwork of tracking down the last titled owner, or, if that wasn't possible, posting ads in the legal section of the paper looking for them, and if no one responded, he basically just (legally) ruled the vehicle as mine, and the DMV issued me a legal title. Didn't cost me a thing except time and basic title and registration fees. All the inspectors costs are covered by the county. Of course, the downside to that is that somebody might well legally claim the vehicle as theirs, and force you to buy it all over again, or even simply keep it. You may have some sort of claim to the vehicle for storage or a mechanics lien, but that's how that cookie crumbles.
Good luck to you, sir.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am still searching the vehicle to find the VIN# I know there has to be something on the frame somewhere. It has an old license plate hanging on it that I am going to trying and search back to see if it was for that vehicle and then hopefully find that owner. I bought it in the middle of a field where this gentleman must have 50 other Jeep's. He said he was not able to find the title in his "big box" of title's. Where there's a will there's a way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts