Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My craftsman rollaway is stuffed to the gills and I need more space. I don't want to go Craftsman again because I can only afford the Quiet-Glide line, which I currently have, and it worked okay at first but now the drawers don't really "glide" at all. :shaking:

So, the local HF has the 40 inch, 13 drawer chest for $400 + $300ish for the top box.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90320

The local Costco has the "CSPS" stainless steel box (also 40 inch) for $700 or $800 (can't remember.)
http://www.cspsmetal.com/toolchests/index.html#41S

Which would you pick? I looked at both in the store but at Costco it was up on a shelf so I couldn't inspect it. The one at HF seemed pretty decent, especially for the money (Dual ball bearing sliders on the bigger drawers, etc.)

Anyone have experience with both, or just want to chip in?
All the threads I've found here mainly have people happy with either one, so is it a toss-up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would go the HF model. My brother in law bought it and it was way better quality than the Costco unit.

The HF one is a crinkle coat red finish (less scratches), comes with drawer liners and a top rubber mat, and has heavy duty roller bearing drawer slides with very little side to side movement. Also has pretty heavy duty casters on it.

FTR:

I have a craftsman roller ball bearing rollaway set that I actually wat to sell for the HF one. The quality of craftsman one is definatly lower than the HF one.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
I got this Craftsman ball bearing rollaway and top chest for $315 out the door. I wouldn't buy anything else except a 2nd pair:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I picked up this Husky 41" bottom at HD on closeout for $399:

It's all ball bearing drawers. I added the 26" Craftsman ballbearing top because I need room to open the breaker box. Works good, stores a bunch of tools.

I've also got a Craftsman project center:

That only has the top drawer with ballbearing slides. I pretty much 'stole' it for around $200 as a used floor model one of the local stores was getting rid of. Because it's not as tall as a regular tool chest, it fits nicely under my Sam's Club workbench. I store all my specialty stuff in there; pullers, tap & die set, automotive crap, etc.

I've seen the HF unit and I think it's a lot of bang for the buck. If you're primary interest is in tool storage, I don't think you'll be disappointed. However, if you're really gonna start loading down the drawers, and dragging it all over a 100,000 sq ft shop.....Spend the money and get either Snap-on, Matco, Kennedy, etc. Look on Craig's or in the local pawn shops for deals.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You might want to check out the Clarke HD Gold version. I have two and they are sweet boxes for the money if you ask me. I got my first one on sale at tractor supply. Recently I wanted another and could only find it online so I bought from tool discounter. Be careful about shipping. They quoted me shipping to a business with dock, so make sure you double check if you order it to a residence.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=CLKCBB217BG

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, what ebay and craigslist. I've seen some pretty good deals on toolboxs. Seems like the more they cost new, the less they hold their value, and the better deal you can get from some sucker who got raped by the tool truck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got this Craftsman ball bearing rollaway and top chest for $315 out the door. I wouldn't buy anything else except a 2nd pair:D
I have that set up with grip latch and a deeper top box + middle box.

I still say HF box is waaaay better.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We have a pair of those big top/bottom combo Stainless CSPS boxes here at work, no issues at all with either one, sliders still work fine, we've overloaded them with tools in the past with no probs. Casters haven't fallen apart either.

Join the Craftsman club (free), and start checking for deals on the Craftsman ball-bearing stuff, should be close to the same price for similar storage size when it's on sale.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Costco box and love it. I have not bought anything from Harbor Freight that has ever had much quality in it. The Costco box seems much higher quality than most I have looked at. Besides, try pricing stainless steel to the Chinese rook a rike steel. It is about twice as much. After the paint starts wearing off you have a rust bucket and chinese crappy paint all over.

My two cents says to go with the stainless box at Costco

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I may wait and see--if I get another 15% off coupon in the mail, the cost of the HF stuff will be pretty compelling. It seems like either box is likely to be a step up in quality from the basic Craftsman stuff I have now, which is okay, just too small.

I am a member of Craftsman Club, but truthfully it seems like you have to jump to the "pro" line to get decent quality, which is too much $$$. At that point just find a used Snap-On...
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello

go to tractor supply i got a box there for 320 .oo very smooth the drawers have form linning its all roller bearing after looking at other boxs like sears that charge thee times as much for theres and not nearly as nice ,,,cheack it out

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
You might want to check out the Clarke HD Gold version. I have two and they are sweet boxes for the money if you ask me. I got my first one on sale at tractor supply. Recently I wanted another and could only find it online so I bought from tool discounter. Be careful about shipping. They quoted me shipping to a business with dock, so make sure you double check if you order it to a residence.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=CLKCBB217BG

this is a more fair comparrison, & it's $599 $200 more

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=ITRNR4211

·
Registered
39 Posts
...if you're really gonna start loading down the drawers, and dragging it all over a 100,000 sq ft shop.....Spend the money and get either Snap-on, Matco, Kennedy, etc. Look on Craig's or in the local pawn shops for deals.
Yup. Similar choice worked for me. Forget Snap-On... couldn't even afford NEW Matco, Kennedy, etc. but landed this UNUSED Kennedy from a surplus/"scratch & dent" supply house... 52" Kennedy 12-drawer Maintenance Pro... Ball-bearing drawer runners... Totally solid quality.

Best List = $1,430... Sale = $600 + Shipping.
There's a thumb-nail sized dimple on right rear panel and a few minor scuff marks on it. Great quality/price; so I ordered a 27" Kennedy 5-drawer Maintenance Pro Chest too...

Best List = $428 (Gizmo's Industrial)... Sale = $170 + Shipping.

Used same sources to buy 20" VS drill-press and Sandblast Cabinet.
Really GREAT deals out there. Surplus sales takes a long while to find but it works for me. Give it a try first before buying HF or Costco cabinets.

My $0.02¢

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I've had my HF box for over 3 years. I love it. Very solid compared to the husky top box I have. I can push the lower drawers in with my foot and no binding.

good to know
looks like $1100 for thsat setup, + shipping:smokin:

no way a snapon/matco/mac etc big bottom box is worth $4,000-10,000 other then saying "look at me I make a ton of cash.......& pretty much waste it"
:D:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Craigslist is your friend. Just check it when you go to work everyday and you will find a gem in the rough within a couple of weeks. Lots of people don't know the cost of these and sell for cheap. Estate sales and such - not trying to gain from the dead dudes but their family listed the price so someone has to get a good deal on it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
just picked up the HF top box for $254 :grinpimp: yesterday. was on sale for $299 and got an aditional 15% off because it was their "display".
Im going to get the bottom tomorrow when they get new ones in.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts